DAM-L LS: Justice Sachar's Statement on Gujarat Detentions (fwd)

From: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:04:14 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net

Rajindar Sachar,
Chief Justice (Retd.),
High Court of Delhi, New Delhi
UN Special Rappoertuer on Housing
Member, U.N. Sub-Commission on Prevention of
Discrimination and Protection of Minorities (Ex.)
President, Peoples Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) India (Ex.)

23rd August 2000

Public Statement

I have come here today on the invitation of Medha Patkar and others
on behalf of the Narmada Bachao Andolan.  I have been invited to
attend the 'Saga of Narmada' organized by activists and victims of
displacement, due to the Sardar Sarovar Dam, on August 24 morning at
Domkhedi (Maharashtra), to share their agony and pain of the inhuman
displacement violating the internationally recognized Human Rights
Covenants and to which India is a ratifying party.

I am given to understand that the police here have been given orders
to detain my colleagues and me when we leave Baroda for Domkhedi
tomorrow morning. No law has been shown under which this action is
proposed.  We are not breaking any law. We are only exercising our
fundamental right of movement and free speech, inspite of the police
warning not to do so. If inspite of our wanting to exercise our basic
rights peacefully and within law, any of us are detained, arrested or
prevented from moving, it will amount to criminal offence of
restraint and wrongful confinement.  In that case we make it clear
that we shall bring criminal complaint against the highest of
political personnel and of the police administration in a Court of
Law.

Threat of arrest will not deter us.  That strength we reiterate, more
so in the state of father of our nation Mahatma Gandhi.

Rajindar Sachar