DAM-L Letter to World Bank on Bujagali/LS (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Lori Pottinger -----

From owner-irn-safrica@netvista.net  Fri Sep 22 13:14:08 2000
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 10:16:17 -0800
To: irn-safrica@netvista.net
From: lori@irn.org (Lori Pottinger)
Subject: Letter to World Bank on Bujagali/LS
Sender: owner-irn-safrica@netvista.net

A moving letter on preserving Bujagali Falls in Uganda, which the US
company AES is proposing to dam....The WBank is currently evaluating loans
for the project. This was sent to us by a Ugandan NGO.

BUSOGA UNIVERSITY
P.O.BOX 154,
IGANGA - UGANDA.

6TH September 2000.

The World Bank
Washington
United States.

THE SYSTEMATIC DISTRIBUTION AND DESTRUCTION OF THE NILE (KIIRA) NATURAL
ENVIRONMENT.

"BUDHAGALI TAFAANGA" (Budhagaali should never die). The falls are unique in
nature and rare in the world. The late Joy Adamson, the legendary
international conservationist the one who rehabilitated the lioness Elsa in
Born Free, wrote a similar statement that "Serenget shall never die". I am
quite sure the famous game reserve straddling Kenya and Tanzania is alive
because of visions like Joy Adamson's. Budgaali shall never die. Many of
us, the silent majority the first generation stakeholders say, cry out, and
carry the vision and the mission about Budgaali falls on the river of our
hearts, Kiira (Nile).

 In 1951 I was a primary two Schoolboy at Busoga Collage Mwiri when our
class visited Jinja and Kampala for the traditional annual form Trip. Among
the important places we visited were the traditional Ripon Falls, Budgaali
Falls Mabira forest, Sezzibwa Falls, and Kampiringisa forest. We crossed
Kiira on the old bridge sharing with the railway line as there was no
bridge yet at the Owen Falls.

The Budhgaali falls were more serious furious, and spectacular then they
are now! The Rippon Falls were real falls and one could hear them running
away to Cairo from as far as Bugembe outside Jinja on the Tororo road since
there were fewer vehicles in town then. It is only possible to say that it
was a marvelous site. The beautiful source of the great river has been
obliterated! I have it in my mind but how can I put it on paper when I only
have it deep inside! It is impossible to do so but we lost a site as a
result of the Owen Falls Dam.

Two notable teachers at Busoga Collage Mwiri, the Headmaster the Reverend
F. C Coates, and R.H Freak who traveled with us on our form Trip charged us
to "always love, respect and conserve nature for ever". We went to
Budhgaali falls were the then colonial Kings African Rifles (KAR) practiced
shooting and witnessed a man go across the falls on bark-cloth! Then we
went to the source of Kiira (Nile), the Rippon Falls. Now they have been
distorted and destroyed the Owen Dam. The Rippon Falls were beautiful and
spectacular to watch the river start its longest journey to Cairo in a
hurry. It plunged down, but such a plunge down is only in history books and
only a few peoples' minds!

We went through the thick Mabira forest stopping here and there identifying
some medicinal plants until we eventually reached the impressive Sezzibwa
falls. These were impressive but not as frightening and spectacular as the
Budhgaali falls. The surroundings were cool and of secret nature with no
signs of hurry and our European teachers had a swim just before we left for
Kampala.  The following day we left for Kampiringisa and walked
"kilometres" through the forest being charged always to preserve and
conserve nature. The last day of our trip we, historical t us, we were
taken to Entebbe to see the airport and the beautiful Nsamizi; and we were
conducted round the State House and addressed by the Governor. This was a
landmark trip for 25 of us. We were also addressed by the Bishop of Uganda
the Reverend Stewart as well. The common mission or message these
outstanding teachers, churchman and the Governor were trying to instill in
our minds was that we had a beautiful country with wonderful physical
features and climate conducive to good living.  We had to make sure that we
appreciated, maintained and protected Uganda, the pearl of Africa. It may
not have made much sense to children of our age then. Now, those words keep
coming back into my mind. Budhgaali falls shall never die! Now, the Rippon
Falls are no more, but we had no say then and we could not protest.
Reverend Coats and R.H Freaks are still alive back in England. Those who
come to see the river source do not see and enjoy the fact that the Rippon
Falls are there. Down, the Owen falls dam destroyed the falls for electric
power, may be that was fine! Of late, the Rippon Falls level has gone down
and this attributed to the construction of the power station extension.

Now, the famous Budhgaali Falls are under siege, threatened by the
construction of a dam there when an alternative can be found! No, no, no,
Budhgaali should never be destroyed any further. The river, Kiira (Nile)
belongs to Uganda, and is particularly owned by the people of Busoga. They
are the only social rituals oriented towards the river and Budhgaali. The
Basoga have oriented their lives along and on Kiira particularly at
Budhgaali and Mbulamuti.

Food wise: People of Busoga fish and cultivate right from Lake Victoria
Lwitamakoli to Buwenda, Budodndo, Mbulamuti, Namusagaali, through to lake
Kyoga. Fish is a very important aspect in the diet, life and religion of
the people along Kiira.

Socio-religious: - Many Basoga especially of the Baise Mweena clan have
their religious foundation and annual ceremony performed by the clan
related to Budhagaali falls no serious Anthropologist, sociologist or
Psychologist can dare to ignore and destroy scholars and tourists the world
over would be quite interested in, and thrilled by this ritual. To destroy
this falls will be to disorientate and eventually destroy the people's
spiritual life.

Socio-economic: Budhagaali falls have recently been discovered by the
tourist industry. Within such a short time they are gaining international
currency as one of the world's great attractions. Therefore they have great
potential for contributing towards the economic development of Uganda and
uplifting the standard of living of the local people. The area has fun,
psychological, therapeutic as well as spiritual and economic value and
appeal to both local, national and international community.

Some questions wonderings and suggestions about Budhagaali falls.

a)      How much of electric power supplies in countries where the Niagara
falls, Victoria falls and the like comes from the relevant rivers, and to
what extent have those falls been tampered with!

b)      If Professor Mathai of the Green Belt Movement in Kenya succeeded
to convince and make people in Kenya and the International community that
constructing a monumental KANU party headquarters in the part in the center
of Nairobi because it would destroy and deform the environment, why doesn't
the Ugandan and international community clearly see the glaring and
threatening complete killing of one of Uganda's and world's few pillars of
natural beauty!

c)      How much more expensive is the construction of a Hydroelectric dam
either further down course or under ground than destroying Budhagaali
falls! In any case, it is more expensive how long would it take to recover
the difference if the dam is dug underground and Budhagaali falls are
developed and promoted as a tourist attraction!

d)      If a canal so wide and deep can be constructed as Owen falla dam
extension, is it that difficult and expensive to construct an underground
dam to save Budhagaali falls, surely! May be this is where "the law of
opportunity cost" should be sensibly applied.

e)      Why have the advocates of destroying Budhagaali falls only advanced
and highlighted the advantages in constructing the dam but have succeeded
in covering up, being unwilling at least to listen to reason, and to reveal
disadvantages! For instance do the Ugandans, and the people of Busoga in
particular know and understand that once constructed, the dam will stay
almost indefinitely, and our tears will flow forever! Do the advocates of
destroying Budhagaali know, and are consciously aware that if what they are
about to do is a crime, their sin will be unforgivable.

It is therefore humble to suggest that it is true that Uganda should
maximize her benefits from Kiira (Nile). This is not today, tomorrow or the
day after. It should be a prolonged exercise of careful planning and
consideration of not only hydroelectric benefits but a mult- dimensional
approach.

It should include preserving the environment and life of the people. Let
dams be constructed elsewhere but BUDHAGAALI FALLS SHOULD NEVER DIE.

Prof. Joseph M. Ngobi-Igaga.

      Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
        and Editor, World Rivers Review
           International Rivers Network
              1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                  Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
                        http://www.irn.org