DAM-L Season's Greetings from PCN (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from William_J_Braun@mennonitecc.ca -----

From William_J_Braun@mennonitecc.ca  Mon Nov 20 23:20:34 2000
From: William_J_Braun@mennonitecc.ca
To: William_J_Braun@mennonitecc.ca
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:05:39 -0600
Subject: Season's Greetings from PCN

To:       William J Braun/Winnipeg/MCC
From:  Will Braun
Date:  11/20/2000  9:54:59 PM
Subj:   Season's Greetings from PCN

[PCN Letterhead]

    CHRISTMAS LIGHTS A REMINDER OF DESPAIR FOR CREES LIVING IN THE SHADOW OF
                               HYDROELECTRIC DAMS
      Pimicikamak Cree Deliver Seasons Greetings at Manitoba Hydro Parade

WINNIPEG MB

? Representatives of Pimicikamak Cree Nation at Cross Lake,
Manitoba will be handing out Christmas cards to the crowd at today?s Manitoba
Hydro Festival of Lights Parade (see wording of card below).

Christmas lights in Winnipeg are powered by some of the cheapest and most
reliable electricity on the continent. Three quarters of this yuletide power is
produced on the Nelson River System, of which Cross Lake is a part. In order to
produce this power, Manitoba Hydro, with the cooperation of governments,
continue to devastate the lands and way of life of the Pimicikamak Cree Nation
(PCN).  This makes Christmas in Cross Lake very different than in southern
Manitoba.

?At Christmas time we are again reminded that we do not share in the prosperity
of the province,? says PCN Chief John Miswagon.  ?We feel like we have to watch
from the sidelines as Manitobans celebrate Christmas by the glow of lights