DAM-L LS: Indian power sector employees on strike to protest privatisation (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net -----

From owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net  Fri Dec 15 19:34:28 2000
From: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:24:51 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net

Indian power sector employees on token strike to protest privatisation
  December 12, 2000

NEW DELHI, Dec 12 (AFP) - More than a million Indian electricity workers
began a one-day token strike Tuesday to protest against moves to privatise
the power sector, union leaders said.

"We want the government to scrap the proposed new bill on privatisation,"
B. S. Meel, general secretary of the Electricity Employees Federation of
India said.

"This is not a strike, but a mass awareness campaign where we will educate
the public about the negative implications of the new bill."

Power supplies were not interrupted, Meel said, adding the aim of the
strike was "to bring people onto our side."

India needs an estimated 252 billion dollars of investment in the next
decade to generate an additional 100,000 megawatts of power to meet its
shortfall.

Of India's total generation capacity, nearly a fifth is lost in
transmission, distribution and large scale theft.

On Monday, Indian Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee restated the
government's intention to introduce the new legislation in the current
session of parliament, which ends on December 22.

According to Meel, the government had not consulted employees before
drafting the bill, which "follows the World Bank's prescriptions."

"It does not take into account that 37 percent of Indians are still without
electricity and neither does it insulate industry and agriculture from high
commercial tariffs charged by the independent power producers," he added.

To correct losses incurred due to power theft during transmission and
distribution, Meel said the government needed to upgrade the system and
supply power on demand, rather than resort to privatisation.

"We will go on an indefinite strike only if the government resorts to
victimisation, otherwise it will end this evening," Meel said.