DAM-L LS: Gujarat Narmada minister sacked (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net -----

From owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net  Thu Dec 21 14:22:02 2000
From: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:49:25 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net

http://www.timesofindia.com/today/21mahm3.htm

Times of India, Ahmedabad, 21 Dec 00

Keshubhai sacks minister for calling him a liar

GANDHINAGAR: Chief minister Keshubhai Patel on Wednesday sacked
Narmada development and major irrigation projects minister Jaynarayan
Vyas after the minister called him a "liar" at a cabinet meeting in
the morning.

Vyas was told to send in his resignation after the cabinet meeting,
which he did promptly. ``I have asked Vyas to send in his resignation
to me as he has lost my confidence,'' Keshubhai told reporters at the
post-cabinet meeting briefing. ``Vyas accused me of being a liar
during a discussion. When a minister does not have any confidence in
me, he has no right to remain in the state's highest decision-making
body.''

Keshubhai discussed the issue with industries minister Suresh Mehta
for three hours before taking the drastic step. As soon as the
cabinet meeting ended, he went to the ailing Mehta's residence along
with IT minister Bimal Shah and higher education minister Bharat
Barot, to brief Mehta about the step he was planning to take. The CM
also apprised BJP president Bangaru Laxman, Union home minister L.K.
Advani and BJP general secretary Jana Krishnamurthy about the
minister's misconduct and his intention to sack him.

While talking to reporters, Keshubhai dropped hints that he had been
probing a contract awarded by the major irrigation department which
had received and okayed inflated tenders for lining up the
Ukai-Kakrapar canal. But he sought to delink the issue from the
sacking of Vyas. The inquiry, he said, had been instituted after he
received complaints from 15 BJP legislators.

Vyas told reporters later that the dispute at the cabinet meeting was
over a decision taken by the CM to reduce water charges for the
industry. Vyas said he was not taken into confidence on the issue and
came to know about the decision from newspaper report on Tuesday.

Sources said Keshubhai insisted at the cabinet meeting that he had
apprised Vyas of the decision. The minister retaliated calling him a
``liar''. When the CM reiterated that the decision was taken with the
minister's knowledge, Vyas challenged him saying: ``If you can prove
this, I will not only resign as a minister but also as an MLA.''

Vyas admitted before reporters: ``It was my mistake to have used the
word liar for the CM. I expressed my regret at the cabinet and
apologised twice. But I have no regrets now. It is his prerogative to
keep anyone he wants.''

Meanwhile, BJP dissidents have refused to back Vyas. While Mehta was
mollified, at least two other outspoken cabinet ministers, Jaspal
Singh and Narottam Patel, said the CM had only exercised his powers.

Singh said that Vyas had called Keshubhai a "liar" twice. "Any CM
would feel bad about this."

Relations between Vyas and the CM had deteriorated over the last six
months. A couple of months ago, Vyas boycotted two cabinet meetings
and important meetings concerning his departments convened by
Keshubhai.