DAM-L MCC statement on NFA anniversary (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from William_J_Braun@mennonitecc.ca -----

From William_J_Braun@mennonitecc.ca  Mon Dec 18 12:47:46 2000
From: William_J_Braun@mennonitecc.ca
To: William_J_Braun@mennonitecc.ca
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 11:51:23 -0600
Subject: MCC statement on NFA anniversary

To:       William J Braun/Winnipeg/MCC
From:  wjb@mennonitecc.ca
Date:  12/18/2000  11:45:00 AM
Subj:   MCC statement on NFA anniversary

Below:
- MCC press release (attached in 2 formats and pasted in the body of this
message)
- MCC statement marking the 23rd anniversary of the signing of the NFA (attached
in 2 formats and included in the body)

(See attached file: Dec 18 MCC release.wpd)        (See attached file: Dec 18
MCC release.rtf)

________________________________

For Immediate Release

    MENNONITE CENTRAL COMMITTEE ISSUES STATEMENT TO MARK 23rd ANNIVERSARY OF
                       NORTHERN FLOOD AGREEMENT SIGNING:
           Doubles Efforts to Support Pimicikamak Cree at Cross Lake

Winnipeg, MB  - December 16 marked 23 years since the Northern Flood Agreement
(NFA) was signed by Canada, Manitoba, Manitoba Hydro and five Cree nations,
including Pimicikamak Cree Nation at Cross Lake, MB.  To mark the day, Mennonite
Central Committee (MCC) issued a statement (attached below) pledging increased
efforts to bring about the fair treatment promised to PCN in the 1977 NFA.

Describing the severe impacts of hydroelectric development on the 5000
Pimicikamak Cree people who live 530 km north of Winnipeg, the MCC statement
says that there is "no evidence that affected aboriginal peoples have been

?dealt with fairly and equitably? as promised in 1977."

Calling for generous inclusion of Aboriginal peoples in the prosperity of hydro
development, the statement goes on to say:
     "Based on our belief in love and fairness, we insist that it must be
     possible to address energy needs without violating the basic human rights
     of the Pimicikamak Cree peoples...  We insist on electric power which does
     not breed despair, betrayal and pain for our northern neighbours."

In the statement, MCC expresses strong support for the courageous and
controversial struggle of PCN. "The Mennonite Central Committee has chosen to
stand with the Pimicikamak Cree people. We say that their struggle is just,
their words true, their integrity inspiring."

As part of its commitment to ongoing involvement, MCC doubled its efforts to
address the issue by adding a second full-time staff person this past fall.
Lisa Martens, who brings international experience in human rights observation,
will work out of Winnipeg to raise awareness of the impacts of hydro dams, and
organize public support for NFA implementation.

Photos available upon request.

For more information contact Will Braun: (204) 261-6381.

_____________________

(See attached file: Dec. 16 statement.wpd)         (See attached file: Dec. 16
statement.rtf)

_____________________

                    MCC STATEMENT ON THE 23RD ANNIVERSARY OF
                  THE SIGNING OF THE NORTHERN FLOOD AGREEMENT

In the early 1970's, Manitoba Hydro and the government of Manitoba commenced
construction of the Churchill-Nelson Hydroelectric Project.  They did so against
the wishes and without the consent of the indigenous peoples whose traditional
lands, economies, and ways of life would be severely affected.

On December 16, 1977 Canada, Manitoba, and Manitoba Hydro signed the Northern
Flood Agreement (NFA) with five Cree nations, including Pimicikamak Cree Nation
(PCN) at Cross Lake.  That moment in time held the bold possibility that hydro
development would include impacted Aboriginal peoples as beneficiaries of the
development and prosperity of the province.

We recognize that the NFA was not the choice of PCN. They entered it under
extreme duress, and only after the lands they had historically occupied were
devastated.

Twenty three years later, Manitoba and the rest of Canada have risen to the
global pinnacle of socio-economic development, and Aboriginal peoples - as noted
by United Nations human rights monitoring bodies - have not only been left far
behind, but their traditional lands - protected by Treaties such as the NFA --
have been devastated, and effectively, looted in the process.  In Manitoba,
hydroelectric development has been essential to the health of the provincial
economy, while serving to dramatically undermine the well-being of affected
aboriginal peoples.

The Churchill-Nelson Project has not been the promised catalyst for the
"eradication of mass poverty and mass unemployment" in Cross Lake.  Rather, the
hydro mega-project conscripted the bounty of the province?s two largest rivers
to serve the "greater economic good", while treating Pimicikamak Cree Nation as
a "necessary casualty of the modernization process." Benefits flow south while a
disproportionate share of environmental and human costs are borne in the north.

This is not consistent with how we believe God intends for peoples to live in
this land. As beneficiaries of power generated on PCN lands, we regret our
participation in the harm that the dams and NFA non-implementation have caused
to PCN and other peoples.

MCC has eighty years of experience assessing and addressing situations of
poverty and inequity around the world.  We recognize at Cross Lake and elsewhere
in the north, circumstances of despair and deprivation comparable in many ways,
and worse in some ways, to situations in countries considered to be much less
wealthy, stable or democratic than Canada.

Due to the dams, thousands of miles of shoreline habitat are eroding and
collapsing into the waterways, islands are disappearing right off the map,
ecological balance has been disrupted, and the traditional economy of hunting,
trapping and fishing has been sharply undermined.  The corrosive effect this has
had on the economic, social and cultural fabric of PCN has contributed to mass
unemployment, suicide epidemics, and desperate social conditions.

We do not believe that God, the Creator, planned for these grossly inequitable
conditions to exist.  Nor do we believe that those who signed the NFA in 1977
envisioned the agreement as a tool to merely maintain the dismal conditions that
PCN has suffered all these years.

Pimicikamak Cree Nation is now insisting on something better than
non-implementation of central NFA provisions, ongoing decimation of the lands
given to them by God, and exclusion from the many benefits of Canadian society.

The Mennonite Central Committee has chosen to stand with the Pimicikamak Cree
people.
We say that their struggle is just, their words true, their integrity inspiring.
Our involvement
dates back to 1973, when MCC was part of the Inter Church Task Force on Northern
Flooding.

The Canadian economy is booming, unemployment is lower than it has been in
decades, Manitoba Hydro is performing better financially than ever before.
There is plenty of wealth, employment and socio-economic benefit to go around.

Broad and concerted implementation of NFA promises would benefit the province as
a whole.  In the end, nobody benefits from endemic unemployment and ongoing
environmental and social destruction in the north.

Comparing our living conditions in southern Manitoba with those in Cross Lake,
we see no evidence that affected aboriginal peoples have been "dealt with fairly
and equitably" as promised in 1977.  Though governments and Hydro have made
efforts to fulfill certain NFA obligations, unacceptable disparity persists. A
look at what NFA implementation could have accomplished points to what can still
happen if our governments and utility embrace the possibilities for shared
prosperity contained in the NFA.  If provisions of the agreement would have been
fulfilled, it is entirely conceivable that:

- Unemployment - and thus government transfers for social assistance - would be
dramatically lower today.  Jobs in the immense and ongoing tasks of
environmental restoration could have provided much employment (NFA Article 5).
The promised maximization of employment with Hydro, and the required training
programs could have provided stable income for dozens of PCN families (Article
18.5).  The promised community development could have also provided significant
employment in the service, resource development and manufacturing sectors
(Article 16 and Schedule "E").

- The destruction of sacred burial grounds would have been prevented (Article
7).  PCN citizens have come across the remains of their ancestors sticking out
of the mud where graves were eroded away due to unnatural fluctuations in water
levels.

- Families who lost members due to hazardous travel conditions would still have
their loved ones with them (Article 5).  Flooding and collapsing shorelines
leave waterways strewn with half-submerged logs.  Hydro has been found liable
for deaths of several PCN citizens who died in boating accidents due to debris.

- Much more of the land used only three decades ago by PCN citizens would be
accessible for trapping, fishing, and cultural pursuits integral to community
health (Articles 5 + 15).

- Generous implementation of the NFA would have possibly meant modestly higher
power rates for Manitobans over the past two decades.  We would have considered
this a most worthwhile investment in the well-being of our province as a whole.

We encourage Manitoba, and particularly Canada, to relate with PCN on a
Government to Government and Nation to Nation basis, toward generous NFA
implementation.  After twenty three years of commitments, talks, re-commitments
and more talks, the only evidence of a new approach will be on-the-ground,
tangible change for the people of PCN.

Governments and Hydro talk eagerly about agreements they have with other
communities, and plans for new developments.  Without pre-judging the merits of
those agreements or possible new dams, these are of no benefit to PCN which asks
- in the spirit of honour and "a deal is a deal" - nothing more than fulfilment
of solemn, binding commitments made 23 years ago.

Within the Mennonite churches that support MCC are employees of Manitoba Hydro
and members of the government.  We invite their cooperation and contributions
toward improvement of living conditions in Cross Lake, and toward restoration of
dignified and respectful relations between PCN and the rest of society.

Conclusion

Based on our belief in love and fairness, we insist that it must be possible to
address energy needs without violating the basic human rights of the Pimicikamak
Cree peoples.  There  must be ways to light our homes without continued
destruction of vast areas of boreal forest.  We insist on electric power which
does not breed despair, betrayal and pain for our northern neighbours.

We ask God?s help in seeking a society marked by generous sharing, and
respectful treatment of all.  We realize that the exploitation of northern
environments and indigenous peoples impoverishes them and also diminishes us.
Our prayer is that there will be a dignified place for all people in this land.

                                      End

[Attachment, skipping...]

[Attachment, skipping...]

[Attachment, skipping...]