Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:21:21 -0600
Subject: [harmful-hydro] Xcel  Energy must include Shareholder Resolution on Manitoba Hydro and Cross Lake Cree Human Rights violations

The Xcel Energy shareholder resolution on corporate practices pertaining to the Pimicikamak Cree Nation and Manitoba Hydro has cleared the Securities and Exchange Commission.  Xcel Energy must include it in its proxy statement to all shareholders and allow us to present it at their annual meeting.
I have attached a copy of the resolution as approved by the SEC any prior resolutions should be deleted from you files to avoid confusion and conflict.

Our theme for a series of events to build support for the resolution is:  Have a Heart, Excel. It's Time to Excel in Human Rights and Unplug from Manitoba Hydro.

Please support shareholders and ratepayers for  10 Wednesdays prior to Xcel Energy's annual meeting on Wednesday, April 25   Sponsored by Minnesota Witness for Environmental Justice
February 14, 21, 28
March 7, 14, 21, 28
April 4, 11, 18
11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Xcel Energy (US Bancorp Center)
800 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis
Sign up for a specific time: 651-255-6945; MWEJ2000@hotmail.com
To learn more about the shareholder resolution: 651-777-3629

The next thing that happens is that Xcel will send a copy of their proposed statement, which will also appear in the Xcel proxy statement, opposing the proposal (ie the Company's arguments as to why the shareholders should not vote for the proposal).   We have the opportunity to object to this statement, but only on the ground that something said in it is false or misleading (no objection
permitted on the ground that the Company is wrong as a matter of policy etc).  If we conclude that the Company is lying (false or misleading), our attorney can send a letter to the SEC setting forth our concerns. The Staff would then consider our argument and decide whether to make the Company change its statement.

The final requirement is for us to have someone at the shareholder meeting to present the proposal and give a short speech.

We can contact other shareholders by telephone, letter, newspaper ad etc.  The only restriction is that you may not ask for agency authority (ie to represent the other shareholder at the meeting itself).  You can ask the other shareholders to vote for the proposal on the Xcel proxy card.  Everyone can help in this effort by asking their family, friends, religious groups, and business associates if they are Xcel Shareholders and encourage them to vote for our resolution.

Finally, as you are aware, the name of the game is getting publicity on the issue.  Please help publicize this victory.  We need to raise funds to place ads in newspapers.

[Attachment, skipping...]

----- End of forwarded message from Lea Foushee -----