DAM-L Support Earthquake Relief Efforts in Gujarat (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Susanne Wong -----

From swong@irn.org  Fri Feb  2 14:18:13 2001
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 11:19:10 -0800
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Susanne Wong <swong@irn.org>
Subject: Support Earthquake Relief Efforts in Gujarat

Dear Friends

I'm sure that everyone is horrified by the destruction caused by the
Gujarat earthquake. If anyone in the US would like to make a donation to
relief efforts but is not sure what might be the best agency to send funds
to, I would urge people to support the Association for India's Development.
This is a highly committed student group in the US with whom IRN has worked
for several years. For more info on AID, who they are sending funds to in
India, and how to make on-line credit card donations go to
http://www.aidindia.org/gujarat/index.html.

Checks should be sent to the address below.

As most of you know IRN has had a long history of working with colleagues
in Gujarat opposed to the Sardar Sarovar Dam. The need for water in Kutch,
the area at the epicenter of the disaster, is used as one of the main
justifications for Sardar Sarovar. The Save the Narmada Movement (NBA) is
currently mobilizing to send food and other supplies and volunteers to
Kutch from the Narmada Valley (see www.narmada.org). AID is a strong
supporter of the NBA.

Thanks,

Patrick McCully
International Rivers Network

APPEAL TO SUPPORT RELIEF EFFORTS FOLLOWING THE DISASTROUS EARTHQUAKE IN INDIA

The Association for India's Development is a voluntary organization
consisting of students across 19 campuses and a large number of
professionals in the United States. We are now accepting donations to
support the earthquake relief efforts in India. 100% of the donations
collected by AID will be directly sent to the affected areas. AID will
achieve this by sending your contributions to grassroots voluntary
organizations in Gujarat with which it has associated with great success in
developmental efforts. Through AID projects, we have established a good
rapport with these organizations and are fully confident that your
contributions will be effectively utilized for relief efforts. These
organizations are active locally in the areas that have been hit by the
earthquake and have proved their credibility through the various activities
that they have undertaken in the past.

Potential organizations may include Self Employed Women's Association
(SEWA),  SAATH, Utthan, and AID Saathis who live and work in the villages
in the Bhuj area.

HOW TO CONTRIBUTE?
Personal Check  payable to "Association for India's Development" and mail
it to, (Please
mention "GUJARAT EARTHQUAKE RELIEF" in the MEMO)

                                   AID,
                                   P.O. Box 149,
                                   College Park,
                                   MD 20741, USA