DAM-L LS: Narmada Valley Expresses Solidarity with Gujarat (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net -----

From owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net  Mon Jan 29 13:57:09 2001
From: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:37:41 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net

Press Statement - January 28, 2001

NARMADA VALLEY EXPRESSES SOLIDARITY WITH GUJARAT PEOPLE: WILL
PARTICIPATE IN QUAKE RELIEF: FURTHER INVESTIGATIONS NEEDED

We, in the Narmada valley, are shocked and pained at the ghastly
earthquake in Gujarat that has taken the toll of over 20,000 of our
brothers and sisters, besides injuring thousands others. Several
thousands are reported to have trapped still under the debris. The
people in the state are overcoming this unprecedented calamity with
exemplary dauntless capabilities, coordination, cooperation and a
sense of unity. The catastrophe is being considered by every right
thinking Indian as her and his own grief and responsibility. The
Narmada Bachao expresses solidarity with the people of Kutch,
Saurashtra and rest of Gujarat who have lost their dear and near ones
along with their life support. We also extend our solidarity and
empathy towards the earthquake stricken people in Sindh in Pakistan
and hope that the government and non-governmental efforts there would
restore the lives of the people.

Entire nation is rising to the calling from Gujarat as one people.
The NBA and its supporters all over India will be fulfilling their
national duty of helping ill-struck people in Gujarat. We have
discussed the earthquake issue in the village meetings in the valley.
>From the Narmada valley groups of tribal, non-tribal volunteers would
be going to help in relief work. The villagers in the Nimad areas,
affected by Sardar Sarovar and Maheshwar Project areas are collecting
foodgrains for their brethren of Gujarat. The supporters of NBA from
other parts of country would also be contributing their mite for the
relief work. This is the first and most important calling at the
present juncture. The experience gained in Latur earthquake relief
work should guide all of us about the dos and doníts of the relief
and resettlement works.

While we stress the urgency to rush relief materials to the worst hit
calamity in Gujarat, to avoid further human tragedy, the authorities
should heed to the warnings given by many scientists. We will have to
explore more accurately the extent and magnitude of the areas prone
to the seismic activities in India. After the Latur earthquake, many
organisations and experts have insisted on the fresh mapping of the
earthquake-prone zones in India. Over 500 scientists are reported
have prepared a report on hazards after 7 years of research; this has
to be converted into the risk areas and definite measures need to be
taken. This has yet to be done. For averting the disaster the
retrofitting of the urban housing and proper housing technique in
rural areas will have to be utilised and people be trained.

It is reported in some sections of media that Dr. Harsh Gupta,
Director of National Geophysical Research Institute (NGRI) said that
the extension of the fault zone of NarmadaSon lineament may be
responsible for present catastrophe and it has released 900% more
energy than that in Latur quake. It is also reported in media that
Prof. R.S. Negi of NGRI said that the Gujarat earthquake is likely to
trigger off tectonic activities in the Narmada-Son Lineament. In
light of this, there is an urgent need to make an in-depth
investigation about the present earthquake and the related issues
like preventive and remedial measures in the geologically vulnerable
zones in our country to avoid any such occurrence in future.

No doubt, all such things will have to be considered and acted upon.
But, at the present moment nothing is more important than to come to
help of our quake hit Gujarat people in urban settlements and rural
hinterlands. We from the Narmada valley join in this national
endeavor with all the empathy, compassion and camaraderie with the
Gujarat people.

Medha Patkar