DAM-L LS: President Narayanan Criticises Big Dams (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net -----

From owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net  Thu Jan 25 22:06:37 2001
From: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:47:50 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net

Economic Times, January 26 2001

                   President against constitution review, large dams

                   Our Political Bureau
                   NEW DELHI
                   PRESIDENT K R Narayanan on Thursday used the
                   Republic Day eve address to declare his differences with
                   the government's policy on the review of the Constitution
                   and the Centre's support to large dams.

                   He also chided the political class for their tardiness in
                   giving women opportunities and rightful representation.

                   Clearly going against the grain of the Supreme Court in this
                   matter, Narayanan's words today were designed to warm
                   the hearts of anti-dam activists. Reminding the nation of
                   the social commitments of the Indian Constitution,
                   Narayanan quoted Ambedkar as saying, "'Civilising the
                   aborigines means adopting them as our own, living in their
                   midst and cultivating fellow feeling, in short, loving them'.
                   But the developmental path we have adopted is hurting
                   them and threatening their very existence."

                   "It is well known how the large river valley projects are
                   uprooting the tribals and causing them untold misery.

                   The mining that is taking place in the forest areas are
                   threatening the livelihood and the survival of many
tribes. It
                   is through enlightened developmental policies that we can
                   resolve such dilemmas of development.

                   "One pre-condition for the success of developmental
                   projects in our extensive tribal areas is that we should take
                   into confidence the tribals and their representatives,
                   explain the benefits of the projects to them, and consult
                   them in regard to the protection of their
livelihood and their
                   unique cultures.

                   When they have to be displaced the resettlement schemes
                   should be discussed with them and implemented with
                   sincerity. This could avoid many critical situations, and we
                   will be able to carry the tribals with us."

                   Although the president makes a passionate entreaty to the
                   nation, "Let it not be said of India that this
great republic in
                   a hurry to develop itself is devastating the green mother
                   earth and uprooting our tribal populations" it is
equally true
                   that the Supreme Court judgment in the Narmada dam
                   case their ruling in favour of the dam was a statement that
                   in this case at least, tribals would benefit from the dam
                   rather than be a victim of it.

                   Narayanan's unerring instincts for the nature of the Indian
                   democracy — slightly chaotic, but refreshingly free and the
                   most comprehensive representation of the Indian people —
                   found expression with a thinly veiled criticism of the
                   ongoing Constitution review process, which had the Prime
                   Minister recently plugging the concept of fixed
                   parliamentary tenure for governments.

                   Using evocative comparisons, Narayanan makes a simple
                   point, that indirect elections or "guided democracy" had
                   failed spectacularly across the border in Pakistan as
                   compared to the enduring quality of the Indian experiment,
                   which favoured responsibility to stability.

                   The remarks are especially significant in the atmosphere of
                   the growing clamour for a constitution review, with the BJP
                   clearly supporting a more presidential form of government.

                   The PM himself harping on the nightmare of losing the
                   confidence vote by a solitary vote in '99.

                   "At the heart of our democracy is the right of the universal
                   adult suffrage. It was an audacious and revolutionary act by
                   the founding fathers, to have introduced in one go. This act
                   of faith by the founding fathers meant that the governance
                   of this vast country was not to be left in the hands of an
                   elite class but the people as a whole."

                   "It also meant, logically, that the voice of the
people will be
                   heard in the affairs of the state and their representatives
                   will be elected directly to the legislatures and parliament."

                   "The founding fathers had the wisdom and foresight not to
                   overemphasise the importance of stability and uniformity in
                   the political system. As Ambedkar explained in the
                   constituent assembly, they preferred more responsibility to
                   stability."

                   "That is why they consciously rejected the system of
                   restricted franchise and indirect elections embodied in the
                   '35 government of india act. Today it is necessary to look
                   back to this faith when we hear voices pleading for a
                   system of indirect elections."

                   "We may recall that in Pakistan, Field Marshal Ayub Khan
                   had introduced an indirect system of elections and
                   experimented with what he called basic democracy or
                   guided democracy.

                   It would be an irony of history if we invoke today in the
                   name of Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation, the
                   shades of the political ideas of Field Marshal Ayub Khan,
                   the father of military rule in Pakistan."

                   "Let us remember, it is under the flexible and spacious
                   provisions of our constitution, that democracy has
                   flourished during the last 50 years and that India has
                   achieved an unprecedented unity and cohesion as a
                   nation."

                   A product of the nationalised system, Narayanan is clearly
                   uncomfortable with the rash of public opinion debunking the
                   public sector and deifying the private sector.

                   The problem is not, as he makes out to be, the fact that
                   the public sector existed at all. Its that the public sector
                   stunted economic development in this country to the
                   extent that even private sector found it easier to be
                   sub-contractors to the licence raj, be more rent-seeking
                   than entrepreneurial in their actions.

                   Therefore, the president is clearly at odds with facts when
                   he says, "indeed it is the growth of the public sector in
                   India that made it possible for private sector to expand and
                   flourish later. What we have done is to keep pace with
                   world developments."

                   "While making necessary changes in our policies it is
                   important to recognise the contributions made by India in
                   its earlier stage of development and that it is standing upon
                   the shoulders of our earlier policies and their results that
                   we are today liberalising and globalising our economy."