DAM-L LS: Eight Killed in Koel Karo Dam Protest, India (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net -----

From: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 16:23:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: LS: Eight Killed in Koel Karo Dam Protest, India
Sender: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net

NATIONAL ALLIANCE OF PEOPLE'S MOVEMENTS
C/O Chemical Mazdoor Sabha, Haji Habib Building,Naigoan Cross Rd.
DADAR(EAST),MUMBAI 400014
( Ph.Off: 022-4150529, Res: Sanjay M.G..5369724 Email:
admin@sanjay.ilbom.ernet.in)

February 24, 2001

KILLING OF 8 ADIVASIS IN JHARKHAND:
PART OF LARGER DESIGN TO SUPPRESS RIGHTS OF PEOPLE FOR CORPORATE POWERS

The police firing and killing of 8 tribal villagers opposing the
Koel-Karo dam, at Tapkara (Ranchi) on February 2, is reprehensible
and shameful for the first Jharkhand Government. This pre-planned
massacre by the very state which has come into the existence in the
name of the Adivasis, that too for the sake of the project which
Adivasis are resisting, is a against the very raison d'etre of the
Jharkhand state.

The unwarranted police firing and the preceding events as reported by
INSAF-Jharkhand and the Jharkhand Ulgulan Manch, calls for further
investigations by the government and suspension of all the police
officers who have been responsible for this killing. We also call for
the compensation to be paid for the relatives of deceased. Had the
government and police officials tried to talk with the protesting
people about the previous demands regarding suspension of the police
persons and compensation for the beating, the matter might not have
gone that far.

There should be no further action on the part of the Jharkhand state
government to resume the work on the infamous Koel-Karo project. The
Adivasis of Jharkhand, in a unique struggle, have stopped this
project which would destroy their livelihood, forest and other
resources. The government of Jharkhand must repect the decision by
the Adivasis of Koel-Karo river valleys.

In these heydays of Globalisation and liberalisation, the governments
and power elite of the tribal states of the Jharkhand and
Chhattisgarh too are preparing for mortgaging the forests and rights
of the tribals for the sake of the National and Multinational
Capital. The state is acting as an agent for these financial powers,
against its own people. Apart from eyeing for the forests and the
natural resources of the tribals in these states, the Chief Ministers
of the states are learnt to be endorsing the move to ament the
Schedule V of the Constitution, which provides special protection for
the tribal areas in India. The rulers of these states are pursuing
and defending the same anti-tribal and unsustainable policies in the
name of the development of the tribals. All the tribal and other
organisations must watch against this imminent danger.

The incident in Tapkara is a pointer towards the collusion of the
government and corporate powers in Jharkhand and other parts of India
to devour whatever natural resources our people have. We, the
organizations with the National Alliance of People's Movements (NAPM)
express our solidarity with the struggling people in Jharkhand and
Koel Karo region. We will have to strengthen the struggle against the
Koel-Karo Project and other such designs in Jharkhand.
Correspondingly, we will have to further intensify our struggle
against the onslaught of national-multinational conglomerates and the
attempts by the state to suppress the rights of the people for their
sake.

Thomas Kocherry
( National Coordinator)

Sanjay M.G.
( National Co-Coordinator)

Medha Patkar
( National Convenor)

and Organiszations and colleagues with the NAPM