DAM-L LS: Arundhati, Medha Charged with Contempt of SC (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net -----

From: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:25:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: LS: Arundhati, Medha Charged with Contempt of SC
Sender: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net

The Hindu
Tuesday, February 27, 2001

SC notice to Arundhati Roy, Medha Patkar

  By Our Legal Correspondent

  NEW DELHI, FEB. 26. The Supreme Court today ordered notice to the
Narmada Bachao Andolan
  (NBA) leader Ms. Medha Patkar, the Booker Prize winner, Ms.
Arundhati Roy and others for staging a
  demonstration outside the Apex Court gate on December 13 last and
shouting slogans allegedly against
  the judgment in the Sardar Sarovar dam project case.

  A Bench comprising Mr. Justice G.B. Pattanaik and Mr. Justice B.N.
Aggrawal ordered notice to show
  cause why contempt proceedings should not be initiated against them,
on a petition filed by a group of
  lawyers.

  Describing the agitation by nearly 300 activists of the NBA as a
blitzkrieg against the judiciary, these
  lawyers prayed for appropriate action against the demonstrators to
save the dignity and integrity of the
  highest judicial institution in the country.

  The petitioners, Mr. J.R. Parashar and four others alleged that on
December 13 last there was a big
  crowd outside the Supreme Court led by Ms. Medha Patkar, Ms.
Arundhati Roy and Mr. Prashant
  Bhushan, advocate and slogans were raised against the Chief Justice
of India, Mr. A.S. Anand.

  They contended that by indulging in demonstrations outside the
court, the NBA leaders and activists had
  set a dangerous example for others to follow and mar the reputation
of the Supreme Court and that the
  repercussions of this agitation would be deadly to the judiciary.

------------------
The Hindu
Wednesday, February 28, 2001

Contempt notice, a chance to present our view: Medha

  By Kalpana Sharma

  CAPE TOWN, FEB. 27. The Supreme Court of India seemed a long
distance away for the Narmada
  Bachao Andolan's Ms. Medha Patkar when she heard that she had been
issued, yet again, a contempt
  notice for her response to its ruling in the Narmada case. Ms.
Patkar is in Cape Town, attending the last
  stakeholders' forum meeting of the World Commission on Dams on which
she served as one of the 12
  commissioners since 1998.

Ms. Patkar told The Hindu, ``I see
  this as an opportunity to present, not just before a court of law
but before civil society what we really feel
  about the judiciary and how we view justice''. She said that did not
have anything against the role and the
  place of the judiciary in society. ``But we were disgusted with the
process and the result'', she said.
  ``That really fell very short of our expectations''.

  Ms. Patkar, who has played an active role in the deliberations of
the WCD over the last three years, said,
  ``We hope that the judges, who once exhibited the broadness of their
shoulders will again express their
  openness of heart. This, we hope, will open up a new phase of
interaction between the judiciary and
  people like us who represent the disadvantaged. It could pave the
way for true justice in the future''.