DAM-L LS: Action Alert! Killing of Tribals Madhya Pradesh (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net -----

From: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:31:14 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: LS: Action Alert! Killing of Tribals Madhya Pradesh
Sender: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net

----------
PLEASE URGENTLY  ENDORSE OR SEND SUCH LETTER  TO THE CHIEF MINISTER OF
MADHYA PRADESH, INDIA,  AT THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS : cm@mpchiefminister.com OR
at cs@vallabh.mp.nic.in
(ref: Listserve posting of  6th April 2001)

To,
Mr. Digvijay Singh,
Chief Minister, Madhya Pradesh,
Bhopal,

Sir,

We are appalled at the brutal killing of seven adivasis (tribals) in Bagli
tehsil in Dewas district  on April 3, 2001 at the hands of the Madhya
Pradesh police. We condemn this gory incident. The Adivasis have been
organizing themselves as Adivasi Shakti Sangathan, against the oppression
and  exploitation. The police have now arrested Rahul Banerjea, one of the
main activists of the organization and we fear for his safety.

These incidents are a deliberate attempt to intimidate the Adivsis and their
organizations in the state.  For last couple of years the Government of
Madhya Pradesh has been  threatening and harassing the people's
organizations in the state. The Dewas killing is the height of the
anti-Adivasi attitude of the state government. This act makes us ashamed of
the governance and state and its administration. This has degraded whatever
little democratic processes we have.

We still appeal  you to stop the repression and genocide of adivasis,
intervene effectively and urgently to stop the continued harassment of
tribals and their organizations in Madhya Pradesh. we beseech you to restore
the rule of law  in the state. There should be a judicial enquiry into these
incidents and the guilty officials be punished forthwith. We ask you to
direct the District Magistrate and all responsible officials to respect the
democratic, constitutional and human rights of the Adivasis.