DAM-L Amnesty International issues appeal for Three Gorges dam protesters(fwd)

----- Forwarded message from ProbeInternational -----
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 17:43:43 -0400
From: ProbeInternational@nextcity.com (ProbeInternational)
To: ProbeInternational <ProbeInternational@nextcity.com>
Subject: Amnesty International issues appeal for Three Gorges dam protesters

THREE GORGES PROBE, April 23, 2001

Amnesty International, the world-renowned human rights
organization issued an urgent action appeal today on behalf
of four farmers, jailed after protesting the embezzlement of
funds intended to resettle thousands of peasants displaced
by the Three Gorges dam project.

He Kechang, Ran Chongxin, Jiang Qingshan, and Wen
Dingchun, have being detained "incommunicado" since
March, Amnesty reports, adding that He Kechang has
"reportedly been tortured, and the others are also believed
to be in danger."

In its appeal, Amnesty asks those in its extensive worldwide
network to express concern to China's Premier Zhu Rongji
about the arbitrary detention of the four men "for peacefully
attempting to exercise their constitutional right to petition
the government in Beijing," to stop the torture or ill-
treatment of the four, and to release the men "immediately
and unconditionally."

Last week, another human rights group, Human Rights
Watch, and the environmental organization Probe
International called for the release of the four detained
"whistle-blowers" and an end to the abuses linked to the
Three Gorges dam project.
[Full story: Amnesty International's urgent action]]

For more information see:
"Imminent trial of Three Gorges dam protesters",
Human Rights Watch and Probe International

- END -

All Chinese stories that are translated and published by
Three Gorges Probe are as true to the original Chinese
text as possible. Editing for English grammar and style is
kept to a minimum in instances where misinterpretation
may occur.

Three Gorges Probe is dedicated to covering the scientific,
technical, economic, social, and environmental ramifications
of completing the Three Gorges Project, as well as the
alternatives to the dam. Three Gorges Probe welcomes
submissions. As part of our service, we also reprint articles
about the Three Gorges Project we feel will be of interest
to our readers.

Publisher: Patricia Adams
Executive Editor: Mu Lan
Assistant Editor: Lisa Peryman

Three Gorges Probe is also available in CHINESE at
http://www.probeinternational.org/probeint/ThreeGorges/tgp/chgifhz.html

If you wish to subscribe to our Three Gorges Probe news
service, send an e-mail to probeinternational@nextcity.com
with your name and either "subscribe TGP" or
"subscribe CHINESE TGP" in the subject box.

More information and Three Gorges Probe back issues are
available at  http://www.probeinternational.org/pi/3g/.
----- End of forwarded message from ProbeInternational -----