DAM-L Rainwater harvesting articles in watermagazine (fwd)

----- Forwarded message posted on Right to Water list -----

26th April 2001

Greetings from http://www.watermagazine.com

WATERMAGAZINE UPDATE THIS WEEK: Rain Water Harvesting (India, USA,
Canada, Australia, UK).

1.    In January 1996 we installed a rainwater catchment system to
capture Oregon's abundant rainfall. In 1998 we received approval from
the city of Portland to use this water for all household use. This
system cost less than $1,500....
2.    Texas Guide to Rainwater Harvesting... This 66 page pdf file is
superb. It covers the water cycle, conservation, collection systems,
treatment, and many other aspects in detail with diagrams. As useful
outside the USA.
3.    Collection of designs of roofwater harvesting tanks and systems
from different countries... Illustrated case studies prepared by
Warwick University, UK
 4.    Rainwater is of better quality than well or municipal tap
water. It is the softest water available, with a hardness of zero...
US feature article: Sourcing Water from the Sky
5.    The collection of rainwater from the roofs of buildings can
easily take place within our cities and towns, not just in rural
Australia... Sustainable Earth Technologies (SET) site page of useful
overview
6.    Paper Review: Water Utility Regulation: Issues & Options for
Latin America & the Caribbean... This paper is a superb resource,
anywhere in the world
7.    Reasons for drought - the simple technology of using rainwater
has declined and in its place exploitation of rivers and groundwater
through dams and tubewells has become the key source of water....
8.    If you reside in Bangalore, and have experienced water scarcity,
you might be searching for alternative ways to get enough water for
your household use....
Apart from the links referred to in this email, there are hundreds of
links in the database at http://www.watermagazine.com

Regards, Joel Cayford

Joel Cayford, Editor, www.watermagazine.com
Email: cayford@watermagazine.com  ;  joelc@kiwilink.co.nz
Ph/Fx: +64 9 445 2763;  Auckland,  New Zealand