DAM-L Water Resources Management meeting in South Africa/LS (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Lori Pottinger -----

Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 12:28:21 -0700
To: irn-safrica@netvista.net
From: Lori Pottinger <lori@irn.org>
Subject: Water Resources Management meeting in South Africa/LS
Sender: owner-irn-safrica@netvista.net

Re: 2nd WARFSA/WaterNet Symposium, Cape Town, 30 and 31 October 2001

From:  Pieter van der Zaag
  WaterNet interim manager
  e-mail   ihe@mango.zw  and  waternet@eng.uz.ac.zw

---------------------------

Second Announcement

2nd WaterNet/WARFSA Symposium

INTEGRATED WATER RESOURCES MANAGEMENT: THEORY, PRACTICE, CASES

University of the Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa, 30 and 31 October 2001

The Water Symposium provides a platform where water professionals in Southern
Africa share experiences with Integrated Water Resource Management. It is the
place to discuss new opportunities and developments. It is also the place to
cross boundaries, look over disciplinary fences and think across national
borders. The Symposium will consist of the following sessions:

SPECIAL SESSIONS

(a) Access to water: some for all or all for some?
Can access to basic water and sanitation services and the protection from
water-borne diseases for all be achieved? Is full cost recovery always
necessary? What are the financial implications? Is there a role for the private
sector?

(b) The river-coast interface: implications for water management
Do we sufficiently understand the interactions between the river basin and the
coastal zone? Who are the coastal zone stakeholders, and how are their interest
articulated? What are the implications for the management of the river basin?

SYMPOSIUM THEMES

(1) Water resources: rediscovering the water cycle
This theme focuses on the various phases of the water cycle, such as rainfall,
evaporation, soil moisture, ground water, surface water, and our understanding
of the links between them, including environmental issues and land-water
interactions.

(2) Water and development: ensuring equity and efficiency
This theme deals with the uses of water and their contribution to social and
economic development, such as provision of water for urban and rural areas, as
well as agriculture. How can we enhance equity and efficiency as well as
mitigate environmental impacts?

(3) Water resource management: the challenge of integration
How do we manage our water resources; are our policies, laws and institutions
adequate? How do we deal with competing uses? How do we manage droughts and
floods? Which tools can assist water managers towards integrated
management from
the watershed to the entire basin, including demand management?

Symposium fee: US$ 100 for foreign visitors and R800.00 for South African
residents (excluding airfares, accommodation and excursion)

Accommodation: The recommended conference hotel is the Protea Landmark Lodge.
Telephone: +27 +21 913 2000 or email mwlltvg@mweb.co.za.

Excursion: An excursion to view attempts at urban catchment management in the
greater Cape Town area will be arranged for 1st November if the demands
justifies it. Cost is R100 or $12.50.

Submission of papers and posters
Papers and/or posters are invited that address these and related issues, be it
at the theoretical or practical level. Also papers that account experiences in
the form of case studies are encouraged.
Deadline for submission of abstracts is 30 June 2001.
Deadline for submission of full papers is 31 August 2001.

Symposium Committee
Mr Lewis Jonker, Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of the Western Cape
(lewisj@uwc.ac.za)
Mr Rian Titus, Department of Earth Sciences, University of Western Cape
(rtitus@uwc.ac.za)
Dr Jenny Day, Freshwater Research Unit, University of Cape Town
(jday@botzoo.uct.ac.za)
Mr B Rawlins, Department of Hydrology, University of Zululand
(brawlins@pan.uzulu.ac.za)
Dr Jerry Ndamba, WARFSA (jndamba@iwsd.icon.zw)
Dr Pieter van der Zaag, WaterNet (waternet@eng.uz.ac.zw)

Enquiries, Pre-registration, submission of abstracts
Villeen Beerwinkel, University of the Western Cape, Private Bag X17, Bellville
7534, Republic of South Africa
Tel + 27 21 959 2685;   Fax: + 27 21 959 2266
Email: vbeerwinkel@uwc.ac.za or see our website: http://www.uwc.ac.za go to
news and events then click on events calendar.

Content-MD5: tTec7bZG0hqVrTj0a++5nQ==

Attachment converted: Neruda:warfsa.doc (WDBN/MSWD) (000504E8)
       Lori Pottinger, Director, Southern Africa Program,
         and Editor, World Rivers Review
            International Rivers Network   <'})))>><
               1847 Berkeley Way, Berkeley, California 94703, USA
                   Tel. (510) 848 1155   Fax (510) 848 1008
	   http://www.irn.org