DAM-L Fw: [Eco-list] [environmentaljournalists] Scientists Join Forces tocheck Earth's Health - Reuters (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Right to Water -----

From: Right to Water <right-to-water@iatp.org>
To: dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
Subject: Fw: [Eco-list] [environmentaljournalists] Scientists Join Forces to check Earth's Health - Reuters
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:24:19 -0500

Right to Water (right-to-water@iatp.org)    Posted: 06/05/2001  By  daima@brain.net.pk

Scientists Join Forces to Check Earth's Health
Reuters
Jun 4 2001 11:47AM

TURIN, Italy (Reuters) - Scientists from all over the world are set to begin
an unprecedented study to map the health of the planet and provide possible
remedies to cure its ills, the United Nations announced Monday.
"If we are to rescue the Earth's ecosystem we need facts," Klaus Toepfer,
executive director of the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), told a
news conference in Turin as he unveiled the $21 million study ahead of World
Environment Day on June 5.
U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan will officially launch the four-year
study, called the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment, in New York Tuesday.
The study -- to assess the condition of the world's wildlife habitats and
ecosystems -- will involve around 1,500 scientists.
"The study should improve not only our understanding of the impact that
humans are having on the fragile planet, but also provide remedies and chart
ways in which the Earth's ecosystems can be saved and restored," UNEP said
in a statement.
"We want to produce instruments and construct scenarios that help those who
make decisions in their choices," said Delmar Blasco, secretary-general of
the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands.
The study will also make use of 16,000 satellite images donated by NASA that
contain important information on environmental damage in coastal, rural,
mountainous and wetland areas.
Toepfer said last week that a study had revealed some 90 percent of
Mesopotamian marshlands -- the largest wetland in the Middle East and one of
the world's most important freshwater ecosystems -- had been lost as a
result of drainage and damming.