DAM-L Announcing an Agro-ecology Summit on Aug 10 (fwd)w/session/floodcontrol

----- Forwarded message from Right to Water -----

From: Right to Water <right-to-water@iatp.org>
To: dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
Subject: Announcing an Agro-ecology Summit on Aug 10
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:21:48 -0500

Right to Water (right-to-water@iatp.org)    Posted: 07/20/2001  By  svarghese@iatp.org

ANNOUNCING THE AGROECOLOGY SUMMIT on AUGUST 10, 2001
At WILLOW LAKE FARM (near Windom, Minnesota)

A Local Discussion of Challenges and Opportunites for
Agriculture and the Environment with a focus on:
Agriculture and Water Quality & Quantity
Agriculture and Wildlife Habitat & Recreation
Agriculture and Climate Change, Energy & Technology

- DRAFT AGENDA -
Friday, August 10, 2001
6:00 AM 	Early Registration/Sunrise Field Walk (optional)

8:00 AM 	Registration/Coffee & Rolls

8:15 AM 	Welcome/Introduction: Agroecology:What is it and why should a
farmer be interested? The case for Willow Lake Farm

8:40 AM 	Agroecology and Water
Can we reduce flood dangers while optimizing water quality and grain yields?
- Agriculture and Water Quality in SW MN (John Moncrief, UM - tentative)
- State & Federal Policies to Assist Landowners in reducing water pollution
and
flooding risks (Dave Bucklin, Cottonwood County SWCD)
- Public/Private Partnerships for conservation (Derek Fisher, BWSR)
- Local Discussion/Q&A Session
Gerald Tumbleson, Minnesota Corn Growers Association (invited)
Paul Turner, farmer
Tom Muller, farmer
Steve Sodeman, United AgTech
Lowell Busman, UM Extension/Waseca Research Station

10:40AM 	Agroecology & Wildlife
Can We Farm Successfully And Promote Wildlife Habitat And Recreation
Opportunities?
- Wildlife and Agriculture in Southwest Minnesota (Ecologist to be
determined)
- Landowner Incentives for Wildlife Habitat Protection - federal/state
policies
(Gregg Pattison, US Fish & Wildlife Service)
- Local Discussion/Q&A Session
Lance Craighead, Montana State U.
Diane Debinski, Iowa State U.
John Tester, U. of Minnesota
Jerry Raedeke, North Heron Lake Game Producers Association

12:00PM 	Lunch (Bruce Maxwell as speaker)

1:00PM 	New Directions for Agriculture?
Can We Reduce Global Warming Through Farming Practices?
- Climate Change and Agriculture (Donald Reicosky, USDA ARS Morris)
- The Farmer's Perspective on Climate Change
(Martin Kleinschmit, farmer/Center for Rural Affairs)
- - Local Discussion/Q&A Session

2:00PM 	Can Agriculture Be A Source Of Energy Production?
- Farming Energy (Minnesotans for an Energy Efficient-Economy)
- Switchgrass Production for Energy (Alliant Energy representatives)
- Local Discussion/Q&A Session

3:10PM 	What Is The Role Of Technology In Agriculture?
- Precision Agriculture (UofM Precision Agriculture Center staff)
- Practitioner Perspective (TBD)
- Local Discussion/Q&A Session

4:10PM 	Group Discussion: What have we learned -- what can we take home?
How do we promote Agroecology as a viable and profitable function of farming?
Bridges (incentives/opportunities/policies)
Barriers (disincentives/obstacles/)

5:30PM Concluding Remarks (Tony Thompson)

6:00PM DINNER/POST-CONFERENCE SOCIALIZATION
Saturday, August 11, 2001
The Coot Caterwaul!

Saturday will be a day of experiential learning (field walks, birdwatching,
tours), relaxation, and socialization at Willow Lake Farm culminating in
the Coot Caterwaul, a gala event of good music, food and friends.  There
will be optional tours of the new Fish and Wildlife Service office and
other local sites of interest from the agroecology perspective.  Numerous
campsites are available on the farm and other lodging possibilities are
available in nearby Windom -- participants are encouraged to stay for this
day of celebration of rural life, the Willow Lake Farm and its friends.

****For information about the Agroecology Summit, go to
http://www.workinglandscapes.org  or contact:
                            Jim Kleinschmit
jim@iatp.org