DAM-L Appeal for Good Water Science (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Right to Water -----

From: Right to Water <right-to-water@iatp.org>
To: dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
Subject: Appeal for Good Water Science
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:25:56 -0500

Right to Water (right-to-water@iatp.org)    Posted: 08/08/2001  By  ida@wlink.com.np

WARNING - using reply will send the message to the list

Dear Friends,

The spate of embankment building in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh in the last
fifty years has brought insecurity to millions there. This virus is now
finding its way into Nepal. The most recent reason for angst is the
Khurd-Lotan embankment that threatens to submerge even the birthplace of
Buddha, Lumbini. (Khurd-Lotan embankment is about 6 meters high on a
terrain that is 90 meters above sea level: Lumbini a few kilometers north
is 94 meters above sea level. This is in addition to all the villages in
Nepal.)

In this debate, the nation-state angle is being highlighted in public
discourse; but there is a more serious issue of bad science. In our appeal,
we wish to ask you to consider this aspect.

For a copy of the attachment "An Appeal for Good Water Science.doc" please
write to Ajaya Dixit and Dipak Gyawali at ida@wlink.com.np