DAM-L LS: People of Narmada Valley Warn Against Callous Decision on Dam (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net -----

From: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:31:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: LS: People of Narmada Valley Warn Against Callous Decision on Dam
Sender: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net

NARMADA BACHAO ANDOLAN
B-13, Shivam Flats, Ellora Park, Baroda

Press Note - 29.8.2001

People of Narmada Valley Warn Against Callous Decision on Dam:
Over 1200 in Bhopal: R&R Sub Group Meeting in progress

In the context of the Rehabilitation and Resettlement Sub Group (of Narmada
Control Authority) meeting being held in Bhopal today (29.8.2001), over 1200
tribals, farmers and other oustees from the Narmada Valley have reached
Bhopal. R&R Sub Group, which looks into the progress on rehabilitation, time
and
again has given false reports on the status of rehabilitation, based on the
fictitious reports of the state governments. These reports have misled the
Court to accrue a faulty judgment from it, in October 2000.

At a time when about 5000 families are yet to be rehabilitated who will get
affected by the already constructed dam(93 mts), the talk of furthering the
dam height is not just illegal, but unjust and inhumane too. We consider the
announcement of the Chief Ministers that they will ensure rehabilitation up
100 mts by December 2001 as a mere political gimmick. The people are in
Bhopal to remind the R&R Sub Group that the rehabilitation of thousands of
families is yet to be done and as the NCA officials admitted time and again,
there
is no land even to offer to these families. How then, one can talk about 100
mts?

The Jst. Daud Committee (appointed by the Govt. of Maharashtra) in its
report has categorically said that the dam as it stands today is in total
violation of the State policies, Tribunal Award and Supreme Court order.
They
continued to say that unless there is a Master Plan for rehabilitation is
made, with
the participation of the people involved, no further construction should be
done. The same applies to Madhya Pradesh too.

Supporters from different walks of life extended their solidarity with the
struggle. Dr.Sunilam, Member of Legislative Assembly; MP,
representatives of Tawa and Bargi dams, people from Kerala, Canada, Satara
(Maharashtra)
are some among them.

NBA warns that any callous decision on the dam height will not be taken
lightly by the people of Narmada valley. While being in the Satyagraha, on
the
banks of Narmada, against the unjust submergence, and while we will never
forgo
the path of struggle to save our lands and houses, we also are open to
dialogue with concerned bodies, if they show the courage to see the truth.

Medha Patkar