DAM-L BABA AMTE CONDEMNS DISTORTED REPORTS (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net -----

From: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:51:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: BABA AMTE CONDEMNS DISTORTED REPORTS
Sender: owner-irn-narmada@netvista.net

NARMADA BACHAO ANDOLAN
62, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Badwani, Madhya Pradesh
Tel: 07290-22464

Press Note/ September 7, 2001

"It is Ill-Health Of Mrs Amte and Struggle Against Inchampalli Dam That
Beckon Me"
BABA AMTE CONDEMNS DISTORTED REPORTS: STILL FIRM WITH NBA, OPPOSITION TO
LARGE DAMS

" I am leaving Chhoti Kasaravad on the banks of Narmada after eleven years
of my stay, mainly to launch the struggle against the proposed Inchampalli
dam and due to fragile health of Mrs. Sadhana Amte. However, the centre at
Kasaravad, Narmada Lok Biradari will carry on the work for the alternative
development. The struggle against the large dams and the Narmada Bachao
Andolan are an inalienable part of my life. There will be no change in my
relations with the Andolan. Perhaps I may again return to Narmada. The news
in some section of media regarding my leaving Narmada are baseless and
meaningless," said the veteran Social worker Baba Amte, while leaving for
'Anandvan' in Maharashtra on September 5.

Baba Amte has left for Anandvan due to the feeble condition of Mrs. Amte
and also to initiate the struggle against the Inchampalli dam. He reacted
sharply to the unsubstantiated news carried by some newspapers and TV
channels regarding his leaving the Chhoti Kasaravad. He was given grateful
and warm send-off by the people in the Narmada valley, praying for the fast
recovery in the health of the unique couple.

In a brief statement issued on the way of his journey he made it clear
that, " All the conjectures that I have some differences with NBA or I am
leaving after the Supreme Court has given a green signal to the Sardar
Sarovar dam or Andolan would suffer a setback after I leave etc. are
baseless and meaningless. My relations with the Andolan will be the same, I
have criticized the Supreme Court judgement on Narmada and again on the
contempt proceedings and lastly I am leaving behind the 'Narmada Lok
Biradari', a center for the exploration and training of the alternative
development. I may even come back to Narmada, particularly for the sake of
the center. I am sure that the new generation in the Narmada valley will be
the protector of the rights of the tribals and their land, water and
forests."

Mr. Amte also has expressed his displeasure over the kind of irresponsible
reporting in a section of media. While condemning such tendency, he said
that, " The conventional weapon to weaken the people's movements by giving
distorted news will not work henceforth. The media also should abandon such
outdated practices"

Dr. Sugan Baranth
Sanjay Sangvai

September 6, 2001