DAM-L ontario/US hydro privatisation: NDP digest oct 31 - fwd

...abridged

-----------------------------------
From: NDP MAIL <ndpmail@ndp.on.ca>
Subject: NDP Daily News Digest October 31-01
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:32:28 -0500

Feel free to share this with your E-mail list.
Visit the Ontario NDP website -  www.ontariondp.on.ca

October 31, 2001

Today's focus:

<snip>

2. America's hydro high-jinx
<snip>

<snip>

POWER LINES TO THE U.S. - US Ambassador Paul Cellucci was in town last night
telling Ontario to speed up the approval process for pipelines and
transmission lines between Canada and the U.S.  Howard Hampton is a leading
voice in the fight to stop the privatization of Ontario's public electricity
system.  He had stern warnings for the Conservatives and Liberals who are
pushing it and again called for a stop to the dirty deal. "If you keep
privatizing public power, our rates will go through the roof because we'll
pay U.S. rates for Ontario power. It's absurd and economically foolish.
That's the bottom line," said Hampton. The government's corporate friends
will sell to the highest bidder and there will be nothing to stop them
unless the Tories stop privatizing, he said.  "You keep telling Ontarians
there won't be enough power lines to deliver our electricity south of the
border.  But the Americans keep saying they'll build those lines and they'll
pressure us to build links at our end.  You keep pretending there just
aren't enough wires to ship our power to the U.S.  Do you really think
people should trust you to stand up to the Federal Liberals, the
corporations and the United States Government?"

<snip>