DAM-L USA: Book award nominee spotlights plight of america's rivers. (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from svarghese@iatp.org -----

From: svarghese@iatp.org
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 17:54:05 -0600
Subject: USA: Book award nominee spotlights plight of america's rivers.
To: dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca

Right to Water (right-to-water@iatp.org)    Posted: 11/08/2001  By  svarghese@iatp.org

BOOK AWARD NOMINEE SPOTLIGHTS PLIGHT OF AMERICA'S RIVERS

WASHINGTON, DC, November 7, 2001 (ENS) - "My Story as Told by Water," one
of five nominees for the 2001 National Book Award for nonfiction, exposes
the threats to America's rivers.

"I feel like the salmon and the rivers are receiving this honor," said
author David James Duncan in a recent interview. "It's great that the
literary community is recognizing this effort to remind us of the
importance of water to our lives - that our bodies are more than 70 percent
water, that our language is moist with the water in our breath, that our
imaginations eddy - and, therefore, of how vital and relevant a clean,
living, water supply is to everyone."

In 22 essays, Duncan examines America's federal mining policy, the
devastation caused by cyanide leach mining, and the gauntlet of concrete
dams, fish grinding turbines, and slackwater reservoirs that are pushing
wild salmon stocks to the brink of extinction. Duncan, an avid fly fisher
who makes his home on a Montana trout stream, also tells of the joy and
wonder that walking rivers, rod in hand, provides him.

"My writing is a desperate defense of hope. Even when I'm confronting a
horrible absurdity like the 1872 mining act, I try to approach it in a
satirical way, to keep the idea of hope alive," said Duncan. "Just as the
salmon does not give up as he fights desperately against the dams that
prevent him from reaching home, we cannot stop hoping to save these waters
and wildlife."

"My Story as told by Water" was published in July by Sierra Club Books, the
publishing arm of the nation's largest grassroots environmental organization.

"We are gratified that one of our authors has received this great honor,"
said Danny Moses, editor in chief of Sierra Club Books. "We are also
gratified to see that the concerns about saving the natural world that
David expresses so eloquently in his book resonate far beyond the
environmental community."

The winners of the 2001 National Book Awards will be announced on November
14 in New York City.

http://www.ens-news.com/ens/nov2001/2001L-11-07-09.html