DAM-L US Water companies are forming a non profit to promote privatization(fwd)

----- Forwarded message from mritchie@iatp.org -----

From: mritchie@iatp.org
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:58:15 -0600
Subject: US Water companies are forming a non profit to promote
	 privatization
To: dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca

Right to Water (right-to-water@iatp.org)    Posted: 11/20/2001  By  mritchie@iatp.org

US Water companies are getting together -- forming a non profit to promote
ppps.

Shiney

New group to deal with infrastructure

 WASHINGTON — Some of the leading US providers of operational services for
water and wastewater treatment officially formed a new group today, 13
November, to support the use of public-private partnerships to meet the
nation's growing infrastructure needs.

The Water Partnership Council (WPC), a not-for-profit organization, will
promote public-private partnerships — arrangements between public agencies
responsible for water and wastewater treatment and private companies that
provide operational services on a contractual basis.

"From coast to coast, communities are faced with the need to spend millions
of dollars to rehabilitate, repair and expand water and wastewater
infrastructure systems," said Mike Stark, WPC president and president of
USFilter Services Group, a subsidiary of Vivendi Environnement (NYSE: VE).
"Now, with the threats we face as a nation, there is an even greater
commitment to ensuring and enhancing the safety and quality of our water
resources. Our companies have agreed to come to the table and jointly
contribute our expertise and resources to help meet the water
infrastructure challenge."

"Through public-private partnerships, our companies are saving communities
hundreds of millions of dollars," said Stark. "The private sector is and
must be part of the solution."

The council's first year of operation will focus on helping municipalities
examine the option of entering into and managing public-private
partnerships to receive maximum benefits, Stark said. Simultaneously, the
council aims to work with Congress and the EPA to ensure that the nation
takes a business-like approach to managing these critically important water
and wastewater assets.

"Encouraging the consideration of public-private partnerships will help
advance such an approach," Stark said. "Both the public and private sectors
work hand-in-hand every day, and we're certain that the strengths of
government and leading private-sector companies yield the best results for
ratepayers when those respective strengths are combined."

He said the council will develop various information guides and papers
based on the successes of communities served by council-member companies.
In addition to serving municipalities, many of the members also serve
industrial clients.

According to Stark, the member companies have consistently reduced water
and wastewater treatment costs, while meeting the most stringent standards
for safety and environmental quality.

"We have achieved these results by applying lessons learned in operating
thousands of systems in this country and around the globe, by developing
and applying the latest technologies and by harnessing economies of scale,"
said Stark.

In addition to Stark, the council's charter members include the following
top executives of the water industry companies: Joe Burgess, Covanta Water,
a division of Covanta Energy (NYSE: COV); Keith Oldewurtel, Earth Tech, a
division of Tyco International (NYSE:TYC); Peter J. Moerbeek, ECO
Resources, a subsidiary of Southwest Water Co. (Nasdaq: SWWC); Don Evans,
OMI, Inc.; David Chardavoyne, Thames Water North America, a subsidiary of
RWE (DAX: RWE); Jean Michel Brault, United Water, a subsidiary of Suez
(NYSE: SZE); and Michael Belsante, US Water.