DAM-L LS: Xe Kaman 1 developer detained in Laos (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from owner-irn-mekong@netvista.net -----

From: owner-irn-mekong@netvista.net
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:59:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: LS: Xe Kaman 1 developer detained in Laos
Sender: owner-irn-mekong@netvista.net

Peter Martin, one of the managers of Austral-Lao Power, the company that
held the rights to develop Xe Kaman 1 dam in Laos, has been detained on
corruption charges, allegedly for failing to pay almost $500,000 in debts
to his employees.

Aussie held in Laos

 From AAP
17nov01

AN Australian man is being detained in Laos, a week after the release of
Kerry and Kay Danes, Foreign Minister Alexander Downer has confirmed.

Mr Downer said the Federal Government was desperately trying to make
contact with the man, named by the Weekend Australian today as 50-year-old
Peter Martin.

Mr Martin was arrested in Laos, reportedly on suspicion of embezzling money.

Details of his arrest were sketchy, but the Government was trying to gain
access to Mr Martin, Mr Downer said.

"I know that he's been arrested, I believe charges are to be laid and we're
endeavouring to get consular access to him," Mr Downer told the ABC's
Saturday AM program.

"Over and above that I can't really tell you much about it, I certainly
personally don't know anything about the allegations against him yet
although my department is endeavouring to put together those details."

The Weekend Australian today reported that Mr Martin, the Australian
manager of a proposed hydro-electric dam project in southern Laos, was
arrested over his failure to pay almost $500,000 in debts to his employees.

Mr Martin had been held in Phontong prison since Thursday and was expected
to be formally charged with issuing a bad cheque, the newspaper said.

It reported a Laotian police officer had said the businessman owed
$US240,000 ($464,756) to six local employees.
Phontong is the jail in which Mr and Mrs Danes were imprisoned.

Mr Martin's arrest comes a week after their release.

The Australian couple were freed after receiving an official pardon from
the Laotian government.

The couple had spent 10 months in jail, including three months of a
seven-year sentence they received after a court found them guilty of the
theft of 167 rough sapphires and 3.2kg of finished stones from a gem mine
where Mr Danes was overseeing security.
The Danes have always maintained their innocence.