DAM-L about the water law (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from mritchie@iatp.org -----

From: mritchie@iatp.org
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 08:40:14 -0600
Subject: about the water law
To: dianne@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca

Right to Water (right-to-water@iatp.org)    Posted: 11/24/2001  By  mritchie@iatp.org

From: Oscar Olivera F.
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2001 2:38 PM

Dear friends,

The Water Export Law has been approved and includes some of the
observations made by the Coalition. We couldn't take out the parts of the
law that talk about "selling water", but a compromise was made.  Under the
compromise agreed to, studies will be conducted and only surplus water will
be exported to Chile.

We had conversations with the people from the region from where the
government has proposed to exported water, and discovered that the
government never discussed and informed these communities about this law.

The government also signed an agreement with the coca farmers and with the
landless peasants. That means truce.  But there are things that are not
clear right now. We are asking the government for explanations about:

The attack on landless peasants by paramilitary groups in the zone of
Yacuiba (Tarija) on the 9th of November.

The participation of a new group (they are not from the army nor from the
police) repressing the coca farmers. The government calls them
"reservists".

Finally, we think that it should not be that only after people are killed
that the government agrees to talks. We don't want this to be the pattern.
We don't want to see more people dying. We are not asking for favors, we
are fighting for our rights as the real owners of this land.

Thank you very much for your faxes, letters and calls of support.

The Coalition in Defense of Water and Life

Message forwarded by:

Ravi Khanna, Director
1world communication
P. O. Box 2476
Amherst, MA 01004
Phone: 413-253-1960
Fax: 413-253-1961
Cell: 413-530-9640
E-mail: oneworld@igc.org
Sign-up to receive updates and participate in discussions on the 1world
listserve: 1worldcommunication-subscribe@topica.com
Web-site: http://www.1worldcommunication.org