DAM-L Special Message from IRN (fwd)

----- Forwarded message from Soudary Kittivong-Greenbaum -----

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:56:57 -0800
To: soudary@irn.org
From: Soudary Kittivong-Greenbaum <soudary@irn.org>
Subject: Special Message from IRN

December 2001

Dear Friend,

I am writing to you at this time to invite you to join International Rivers
Network in our campaign for living rivers and human rights. To join, print
the form below and mail it to the address indicated or click on the
following link:
<http://www.irn.org/index.asp?id=sub/member.html>http://www.irn.org/index.asp?id=sub/member.html

Each year I write to thank our supporters for their commitment to IRN's
work, to provide campaign updates and to ask them to consider making a
year-end contribution. To prepare, I discuss the year with IRN staff, board
and supporters, as I attempt to grasp the enormity of our challenges and the
value of our contribution.

Each year human rights are violated, cultures destroyed and the natural
environment degraded. At the same time, each year we witness a growing
number of individuals and organizations courageously insisting on human
rights and environmental justice. Thus, dams have been stopped, channels
delayed, rivers restored. While the same can be said of the past year, there
is, of course, a painful difference - a remarkable increase in international
instability marked by violence at home and abroad.

At IRN, we recommit ourselves to our work - thoughtfully, deliberately and
with passion. We believe in the basic human rights of access to water,
shelter and sustenance, to environmental justice, to cultural integrity and
in the responsible exercise of civil liberties.

We believe, too, in the integrity of the Earth itself, the rightness
of a flowing
river, healthy fisheries and the need for biodiversity. We respect all living
things, and in so doing, despair at the loss of human life and environmental
destruction wrought by the combined acts of terrorism and war.

I am grateful for the good work we do and that we do it together. The IRN staff
is the most dedicated, hard-working and effective group of people I have
ever had the privilege to work with. We are grateful also for our
colleagues all
over the world, from whom we gain a broadened understanding of the diversity
of cultures and the multifaceted path of human and natural history. Together
our work is directed toward greater international stability and  security
attained by justice, respect for human rights and reverence for our water,
land and air.

IRN is often asked to help communities who oppose destructive river
projects and seek alternatives that are less environmentally destructive.
When a dam is proposed that will displace thousands and destroy habitat, or
when a grassroots organization in India or Colombia or Uganda seeks our help,
we are there to respond. And when governments and international lending
institutions issue policy statements and technical reports, we are there to
critique them.

So, there is no shortage of opportunities to improve things in the coming
year. Here is a synopsis:

o   Helping communities in Uganda to stop the damming of the Nile by the
      <http://www.irn.org/programs/bujagali/>Bujagali Dam, a project
currently under consideration by the World Bank;

o   Working with communities in
<http://irn.org/programs/latamerica/>Latin America and along the
Mississippi
      River who together are challenging plans for even bigger shipping channels
      to serve big agribusiness;

o   Convincing <http://irn.org/programs/finance/>Wall Street
investment banks to act responsibly in promoting
      environmental standards and respect for human rights in the financial
      packages they provide;

o   Ensuring that the Kyoto Protocol on global warming recognizes the sizable
      contribution of greenhouse gases emitted from reservoirs;

o   Insisting that the hydropower industry, governments and finance
      institutions apply the findings of the
<http://www.irn.org/wcd/>World Commission on Dams to future
      water and energy projects;

o   With communities directly affected by large river projects, holding
      accountable those responsible for negative impacts;

o   Assisting friends in Southeast Asia in their efforts to protect
the <http://www.irn.org/programs/mekong/>Mekong;

o   Supporting the ongoing struggle in India's
<http://irn.org/programs/india/>Narmada Valley against plans for
      thousands of dams;

o   Providing continued <http://www.irn.org/pubs/wrr/>news and
analysis of the world's rivers and watersheds
      and the movement to protect them.

In 2002, we will continue our efforts with the same urgency and intensity,
driven by our
<http://www.irn.org/index.asp?id=/basics/about.html>mission. To do
the work that we do, IRN depends on your
support. Please offer what you can: your expertise, your activism, your
courage, your vision and your financial support. While the economy has
slowed down, we have not, nor will we. Please give as much as you can and
we'll do great things with it.

With hope for peace, and on behalf of the staff and board of International
Rivers Network,

Juliette Majot
Executive Director

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
YES! I want to JOIN the movement for LIVING RIVERS and HUMAN RIGHTS

*Members will receive <http://www.irn.org/pubs/wrr/>World Rivers
Review, IRN's bimonthly
newsletter that provides the latest news and analysis of dam diversion
projects and profiles of people fighting for sound alternatives.

Name:

E-mail:

Address:

City/State/Zip:

Country/Postal Code:

Phone: (      )

LEVELS

___ $20 Low Income/Student
___ $35 Regular
___ $50 Friend *
___ $100 Partner **
___ $250 Sponsor
___ $500 Benefactor
___ $1000 Patron

Other Amount: _____

* Memberships above $50 help IRN provide free subscriptions to
World Rivers Review to activists around the world who cannot afford
to join IRN.

** For a gift of $100 or more, we will send you IRN's "NO MORE DAMS"
all organic t-shirt. Please specify t-shirt  size: S  M  L  XL  XXL

I would like to contribute $ ______ to IRN:

__ Check is enclosed

__ Please bill my credit card:

Visa            Mastercard

Credit Card #_______________________  Exp Date ______

Your contribution is tax-deductible as allowed by law. Make checks
payable to IRN, or use your credit card. Please contact us about
planned giving opportunities and other ways you can support IRN.

International Rivers Network
Linking Human Rights & Environmental Protection
1847 Berkeley Way
Berkeley, CA 94703
510.848.1155 (tel)
510.848.1008 (fax)
<http://www.irn.org>http://www.irn.org

International Rivers Network seeks a world in which rivers and their
watersheds are valued as living systems and are protected and nurtured
for the benefit of the human and biological communities that depend on
them. This vision can be achieved by developing worldwide understanding
of the importance of rivers and their essential place in the struggle for
environmental integrity, social justice and human rights.
----- End of forwarded message from Soudary Kittivong-Greenbaum -----