Re: [IPSECKEY] new draft revision (00b)

(chair hat off)

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Michael Richardson wrote:
>   (Is the proper name for the wire-encode form: "DNS name"?)

Quoting rfc1035 section 3.3
<domain-name> is a domain name represented as a series of labels, and
terminated by a label with zero length.  <character-string> is a single
length octet followed by that number of characters.  <character-string>
is treated as binary information, and can be up to 256 characters in
length (including the length octet).

So you might use "a domain name encoded as defined in RFC1035, section
3.3.

>   I'm uncertain about his new suggestion. I'm specifically not certain how
> to "wire-encode" an IPv6 name.

Quoting from rfc1886 section 2.2:
   A 128 bit IPv6 address is encoded in the data portion of an AAAA
   resource record in network byte order (high-order byte first).

So your text might be:  "A 128 bit IPv6 address in network byte order
(high-order byte first)."

Similarly for v4, from rfc1035 section 3.4.1:
	"A 32 bit Internet address."

Perhaps "a 32 bit IPv4 address" is adequately to-the-point.

>   2) byte to distinguish type.
>      FQDN)   wire-encode item
>      IPv4)   4 bytes
>      IPv6)   16 bytes

I prefer this, but I'm not the one writing code.

-
This is the IPSECKEY@sandelman.ca list.
Email to ipseckey-request@sandelman.ca to be removed.