MAI Oct. draft; hearings OPEN TO PUBLIC

The hearings on the proposed Multilateral Agreement on Investment are OPEN
TO ANYONE.

Just come to Centre Block, visitors entrance, with some ID, and say "I'm
hear to observe the hearings by the Subcommittee on International Trade."
Come and pack the room with observers.

TIME: 3:15-6:30
DATES: Nov. 17, 18, 20, 24, 25, 27
PLACE: Rm 253D (confirm this at the entrance in case it's changed)

The Subcommittee has been leaving ample copies of the MAI Oct. 97 draft at
these hearings. If you can't come or they run out, we have one at
OPIRG-Carleton (also in French), you can copy it there. Call ahead,
520-2757. If it's not on the shelf, it's in the "new resources" pile. A $10
donation would cover copying. (It's not yet posted on the web but we may
try scanning it.)

As it is now drafted, the MAI would cripple the democratic process by
reducing Parliament to a rubber stamp for legislation which must meet with
corporate approval. The MAI is due to be finalized in April.

Please copy this message to other appropriate local newsgroups. Be sure to
visit our website; it will be updated frequently with resources and
campaign ideas.

Terry Cottam
MAI-Not! Project, www.flora.org/mai-not/
OPIRG-Carleton