Snowmobiles in Gatineau Park?

This may be somewhat of a different topic for this list, but there's alot
of activists here that likely enjoy skiing in Gatineau Park.  I thought it
would be a good thing to pass this along here ...

>As fellow cross-country skiers, you might be interested in this.
>It was posted on the internal news group for the Nortel ski club
>today. I cannot verify the information myself, but if it's true
>we should all do something about it! The trails around Lac Phillipe
>are beatiful! Names and phone numbers to the NCC are at the bottom
>of the message. Please feel free to forward the message to
>other interested skiers!
>
>Anna

>*** GATINEAU PARK ALERT ***
>    DECISION THIS FRIDAY
>- SNOWMOBILING ON TRAILS #51 and #53
>
>This Friday, Nov 28, the NCC will be making a decision on whether
>trails  #51 and #53 in Gatineau Park should be open to snowmobilers.  This
>would  result in the closure of these trails to xcountry skiers (as required
>by  provincial law).
>
>The Municipality of La Peche has requested that the NCC open these
>trails to snowmobiling.  The NCC owns all of trail #51 and half of trail #53.
>
>The Municipality owns the other half of #53 (otherwise known as
>Kennedy  Road).
>
>The NCC has complete jurisdiction over their part of the trail system
>and  can oppose the use of snowmobiles on their trails.
>NOTE: It is against the NCC's recreational policies and preservation
>mandate for Gatineau Park to allow the use of snowmobiles in the Park.
>
>HISTORY:
>In 1993, the NCC and the Municipality of La Peche and the local
>snowmobilers association came to an agreement.  A snowmobile trail was
>
>created north of the park.  Since then, the local businesses in La
>Peche  (who post advertising along the trail) have not noticed an increase/
>improvement in business.  They feel that is because the trail is too
>far north.
>The snowmobile association and the local businesses therefore want the
>trail to be moved to #51 and #53 (where they expect higher snowmobile
>use).  The potential economic benefit to the local businesses based on
>the provincial average is approx. $125-150/ day/ snowmobiler.  The
>potential benefit to the Municipality of La Peche, specifically, is
>unknown.  The economic benefit per cross country skiers is also
>unknown.

>Gatineau Park is our closest and dearest park.
>PLEASE express your concern over this issue ASAP to:
>
>Marcel Beaudry
>Chairman - NCC
>FAX: 239-5039
>
>Jean-Renee Doyon
>Director of the Gatineau Park
>TEL: 827-2711
>FAX: 827-3337
>
>Municipality of La Peche
>Robert Bussiere
>- Mayor
>Charles Ricard
>- Treasurer
>TEL: 456-2161
>
>--

Al Banner                                 banner@freenet.carleton.ca
United Nations Association in Canada, National Capital Region Branch
----------- learn something about *your* United Nations ------------
----- WWW  <http://www.ncrb.unac.org/> or "go unac" on the NCF------