DEC. 10 HUMAN RIGHTS DAY MANDALA OF LIGHT AT MONUMENT 4:30-5:00pm

Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 10:35:05 -0500
To: OPIRG-events@ox.org
From: "Brian J. Given" <bgiven@ccs.carleton.ca>
Subject: DEC. 10 HUMAN RIGHTS DAY MANDALA OF LIGHT AT MONUMENT 4:30-5:00pm

MEDIA ADVISORY and INVITATION for Dec. 10 EVENT

HUMAN RIGHTS ARE ON CANADIANS' AGENDA AFTER ALL! Ottawa joins 63 cities
around the world in creating a mandala of Light on International Human
Rights Day.

Who:	The Canada Tibet Committee, the Ottawa Friends of Tibet and World
United Formosans for Independence.
What:	Human Rights Day "Mandala of Light" Ceremony
When:  December 10, 1997 - International Human Rights Day4:30-5:00pm
Where: International Monument to Human Rights, Elgin St. (outside courthouse)

HIGHLIGHTS:
· All human rights organizations and individuals are invited to attend
· Ottawa is joining 63 cities all over the world in this event
· Dalai Lama of Tibet inaugurated the monument in 1992
· Organizers will create multi-colored candle mandala
· All participants are invited to place their candles in the mandala
· We will show Mr. Chretien's government that they have misread Canadian
attitudes toward our commitment to     international human rights.

BACKGROUND:
 	After Mr. Chretien's and his government's performance at APEC and their
red-carpet treatment of Jiang Zemin, Canadians are wondering what happened
to our image of Canada as a model of freedom and a defender of
international human rights.  This government may be willing to trade-off
human rights but the majority of Canadians are not.  On December 10 we will
symbolize this commitment by creating a Mandala of Light at the
International Monument to Human Rights on Elgin Street in the nation's
capital. This global event is being orchestrated by the Tibet Charity group
in Denmark who are using the Internet to coordinate ceremonies in cities
all over the world. (see < http://www.tibet.dk/charity/mandala/>) As of 6pm
Dec. 7 the Mandala of Light is being created on December 10 in sixty-three
cities including nine in Canada. The Ottawa branch of the Canada Tibet
Committee and the Ottawa Friends of Tibet are inviting all citizens of
Ottawa to show that human rights are always on the agenda for the people of
Canada.  Everyone is invited to the International Human Rights Monument on
Elgin St. to place a candle on this mandala for human rights.

For more information please call Jurme Wangda at 736-6942 or Prof. Brian J.
Given at 730-1953