Public Land: Have your say Thursday on Lands for Life

If you know about "Lands for Life", then you know you must attend this
public meeting:

Representatives of the three Round Tables will hold a public meeting
Ottawa  Congress Centre, 55 Colonel By Drive
Thursday, April 2
Drop in from 2:P.M. to 9:00 P.M.

> 	         "LANDS FOR LIFE" - YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO BE HEARD
>
>         In the most significant land division in recent Ontario history, the
> provincial government is carving up 46% of Ontario's land base, located
> north and west of Arnprior. Thirty seven million hectares containing 58% of
> Ontario's forests will be allocated in perpetuity or for many years to
> various interests (forestry, mining, tourism, hunters & anglers, parks,
> etc.). The affected land base has been divided into three regions,
> designated Great Lakes - St. Lawrence, Boreal East, and Boreal West. The
> Great Lakes - St. Lawrence is the nearest to Ottawa, and extends from
> Arnprior north to Temagami and west to Sault Ste. Marie.
>
>        "Round Tables" composed of fourteen residents from each region have
> been formed to recommend to the government the land use assignments.
> Unfortunately, there are no representatives from Southern Ontario, where the
> majority of Ontario residents live, even though Crown land belongs to all
> the people of Ontario.
>
>         Each Round Table is holding meetings within its area to hear the
> views of the local residents. Although the government has said that there
> will be new protected areas, we do not know their extent or locations, nor
> how well the present ones, including parks, will fare.  The resource
> industries are lobbying strongly for logging and mining in parks. Even
> Algonquin Park may not be safe from mining and non-aboriginal hunting.
>
> 	The Partnership for Public Lands, a coalition of environmental
> organizations, including the Federation of Ontario Naturalists, the
> Wildlands League (a chapter of the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society),
> and World Wildlife Fund Canada, has proposed areas for protection. The Great
> Lakes - St. Lawrence Round Table has accepted the Partnership's proposal,
> the most protection oriented of four options, for consideration. To date,
> Boreal East and Boreal West have not yet produced their options for public
> comment.
>
>         Representatives of the three Round Tables will hold a public meeting
> in Ottawa, at the Congress Centre, 55 Colonel By Drive, on the second of
> April, from 2:P.M. to 9:00 P.M. to present the options and to hear the
> public's views. The "Lands for Life" process will be the last opportunity to
> protect significant areas of Ontario. Interested members of the public
> should attend this meeting to become more informed and to make comments. In
> addition to making comments at the meeting, people should write or fax the
> Round Tables, the Minister of Natural Resources, and Premier Harris.
>
>         The presentations will be made by the Round Tables according to the
> schedule below.
>

> Great Lakes-St. Lawrence
> 2:30 p.m., 4:30 p.m., and 7:00 p.m.
>
> Boreal West
> 3:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m., and 7:30 p.m.
>
> Boreal East
> 3:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m., and 8:00 p.m.

> [...]

jlanglo2@chat.carleton.ca
    CANADIAN PARKS AND WILDERNESS SOCIETY
    Ottawa Valley Chapter/Section Valee de l'Outaouais
    tel: (613) 730-2797     fax: (613) 730-0005
    P.O.Box 3072, Station D, Ottawa ON  K1P 6H6
Protecting wild Eastern Ontario, Western Quebec and beyond since 1970.
Protegeant la nature sauvage de l'Ontario et du Quebec depuis 1970.