Final final details on War Show/Vigil

Help needed to Oppose the National Capital Air (War) Show, May 31, 1998.

If you can join the Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade (COAT) INSIDE the
air show on Sunday May 31, OR outside its gates on that day, please read
the following.  The letter also gives some information about our vigil
that night.  This letter, explains what we're doing, where and when.
Please join us.

Dear friends,

AT THE WAR/AIR SHOW
COAT will have a presence at the air (war) show during the day on
Sunday, May 31.

We will be:
(a) leafletting the crowds,
(b) having a display of children's art depicting war in Central America
and
(c) holding signs and banners at the vehicle entrance/exits for the
war/air show.

The generals will also be attending the air show on Sunday.  They will
visit the military trade show there that morning.  Please join us in
"welcoming" them.  We will be gathering for a last minute strategy
meeting at the corner of Hunt Club Rd. and Bowesville Rd. (which is also
called Royal Route) at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday, May 31.  You can also join
us there at any time during that day and someone will direct you to
"where the action is."

To get to Bowesville and Hunt Club, you can take OC Transpo bus #87 or
#176.  There are also a special shuttle buses to the show from Greenboro
Stn. every 10 minutes between 8:30 am. and 11:30 am.  These return from
the show between 4 pm. and 6 pm.  Call OC Transpo (no COAT) to find out
more details about buses.  Their number is 741-4390.

Costs:  We have only 20 free passes for entry into the show.  These will
be given to folks, at the 9:30 am. meeting mentioned above, based
factors such as financial  need, length of time person will stay inside
the event leafletting COAT materials.  The price of admission is $12 if
you don't get one of our free passes.  Last year  someone refused to pay
saying "I'm here to protest I'm not paying!"  They let her in.

If you are driving, there will be signs for the war/air show along Hunt
Club Rd.   Parking is an extra cost too (it's cheaper to take the bus
and cheaper still to ride a bike.)

VIGIL
The Air Force Generals of South, Central and North America (CONJEFAMER)
will be in Ottawa for their Conference.  We are therefore holding a
"Vigil to Remember the Victims of CONJEFAMER" on Sunday, May 31 at 8
p.m. [at the Government Conference Centre across from the Westin Hotel].
I hope you'll join us there!

At that time, the generals will be across the street at the Westin Hotel
finishing up their meal, sponsored by the Canadian aerospace industry.
Our "Sound and Light show" at the vigil will be interesting.  We're
planning to project the images of Latin American children's art
(depicting aerial bombardments) onto a wall of the Conference Centre.
We'll also have live Latin American music and speakers who know first
hand about the effect of militarism in the Americas.

There will also several musical groups at the vigil, namely:
"Acalanto" (Chilean folklore group from Montreal); "Comparza
Candomba" (Uruguayan percussion group from Montreal); members of
Ottawa's "Outcry"; and the "Raging Grannies" of Ottawa.

Note the International Network for Human Rights based in Montreal is
hoping to bring between one and three buses to Ottawa on May 31. They
will visit four downtown embassies of Latin American countries and then
join us outside the war/air show at 3:30 p.m. to protest as the generals
and spectators leave.  They will then move to the Westin Hotel to
continue their protest against CONJEFAMER.  They will join us at the
Vigil until about 9 p.m. when they have to leave for Montreal.  They
will have at least two speakers at the Vigil and are bringing the two
Montreal based musical groups.

DO YOUR OWN THING
We are also encouraging organizations to dream up their own creative,
non-violent encounters with the generals.  We are suggesting that
people:
(1) Check out their schedule (see the COAT web site),
(2) pick a time and place for your own opportunity to "Meet the
Generals!",
(3) Do your own media work,
(4) let us know what you're up to,
(5) have fun!

Note:  This is a modified version of a letter which the
Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade mailed (by Canada Post) to a list
of 1000 activists and supporters in Ottawa-Carleton.  This large mailing
was dome through the good offices of NDP Defence critic, Chris
Axworthy, MP.  The mailing also included a pamphlet, the generals'
agenda and a flier on the vigil and boycott.  Thank you Chris Axworthy
and the NDP!

--
Richard Sanders, Coordinator, Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade (COAT)
COAT, 489 Metcalfe St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1S 3N7