Oct 8 demo against OECD

October 8, 1998

WHOSE GLOBAL AGENDA?
The fate of 6, 000, 000, 000 in the hands of 29

OTTAWA- The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
is holding a Ministerial Conference today at the Chateau Laurier in
Ottawa.  The conference occurs only days before representatives meet in
Paris to continue negotiations on the MAI (Multilateral Agreement on
Investment).  Protesting the greed, secrecy and inaccessibility of the
OECD agenda, Canadians from Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal will be in front
of the Chateau Laurier come rain or shine at 10:30am hosting their own
conference in the form of popular street theatre.

"Typically, these meetings have little to do with improving the quality of
life for people.  Shrouded in secrecy, they are attended by a handful of
political and corporate elites determined to advance business at the cost
to human lives and the environment." stated Dave Bleakney, spokesperson
for the Ottawa based Global Education Coalition.

"The fate of 6 billion cannot lie in the hands of 29 people.  At the end
of the day, what is really at stake here is the quality of life for
billions of people around the world".

"Considering the high stakes involved, we believe the meetings should be
open and have input from all sectors of civil society.   It is our quality
of life that is being discussed, and we would like to see a more open and
democratic process, " concluded Bleakney.

For more information please contact:

English: Dave Bleakney			French: Marylou Gregoire Blais
236-7230 x7953				514-522-0989