Rideau River Clean-up

Mountain Equipment Co-op is planning a shoreline clean-up of the Rideau
River in Downtown Ottawa from Rideau Falls and City Hall to the Cummings
Bridge on October 25th, 1998 from 8am to noon.  Volunteers are asked to
meet at the Mountain Eqipment Co-op parking lot on Crichton St., just north
of the intersection of Beechwood Ave. and the Vanier Parkway.  We invite
everyone to participate, young and old, families and individuals, but be
sure to dress accordingly for the weather, and appropriate hand protection
is a good idea.  There will be hot drinks and refreshments afterwards in
the MEC parking lot.

The Rideau River is an important "Green Corridor".  It is cherished for its
ability to forge a strong link between the urban and natural environment in
Downtown Ottawa.  The river supports a diverse array of flora and fauna and
provides a valuable scenic and recreational outlet for countless people in
the City's core.  A strong movement to have the Rideau recognized as a
Canadian Heritage River also serves to strengthn our desire to hold a
Community River Clean-up.

Mountain Equipment Co-op has received tremendous guidance and support from
the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority and the Canadian Recreational
Canoe Association, but is looking for even more help in order to make this
project a success.  We are hoping that volunteers from the local community,
as well as many businesses, will come together to take an active role in
improving the health of what we consider to be an important living member
of our community.

For more information contact:  Peter Brackenbury at MEC
Phone:  (613) 745-1094