A Luta Continua - The Struggle Continues

Hope this is not a repeat - I have been off-line for the past month with
computer problems - and am just now able to send again.

Please excuse any repeat messages!

lg

>A LUTA CONTINUA - The Struggle Continues
>
>             October 23, 1998
>
>Hey folks,
>
>I`ve been co-hosting this radio program for several years, and Earth
Embassy before it since 1991. And we're never short of stories or
last-minute breaking news which the commercial stations and papers simply
ignore.

>We`re broadcasting all (well, a lot of) the alternate news worth knowing,
and feature Canadian and international music and artists.

>As you may guess it becomes difficult then to get mainstream funding
support  - and hence this email, and appeal for a small personal pledge to
help the program and the station continue to broadcast.

>No donation too small! Or, for $20 and up there are 'rewards' to be had for
those wishing books, tapes, passes, etc of substantial value *.or you can
get a tax-deductible receipt if you'd prefer? And we'll read your name and
message to the world, on air!

>So, it's last minute, as ever, and we're looking for your support. Send me
an email, phone me (562-1658), or call into the program live (520-3920) -
and add your voice to those of us in community radio who are fighting for
the peoples and places of the world who are being denied their voice!

>The message below gives a bit more detail on what we're about - if you're
not already convinced. So read on, tune in *and call us Monday!

>Many thanks
>
>Laurie Gourlay
>(*one of a number of co-hosts of A Luta Continua, CKCU)
>

>  * * *
>
>A LUTA CONTINUA - The Struggle Continues
>
>The CKCU funding drive is on, and the long-lived international environment
and development program 'A Luta Continua' airs, live every alternate week,
from 6:30-7:00pm (w/apologies for diminishing the greater Ottawa-Hull CBC As
It Happens listnership!)

>This Monday, October 26th join us on air (93.1FM), as we seek community
support to carry on for another year! We are now in partnership with the
local non-profit organization (operating for 26 years) World Inter-Action
Mondiale - bringing international development issues to the local community.

>Those familiar with 'A Luta Continua' might recall interviews with MP Rick
Laliberte on sustainability and politics, or Council of Canadians Maude
Barlow following the vigil for Ken Saro-Wiwa who was murdered by the
Nigerian government for his activism in defending his peoples and the
environment.

>Or perhaps you remember Laurie's interview with Petra Kelly, the Green
Party leader, who was murdered in extremely questionable circumstances after
a lifetime of standing up for a new form of democracy in government?

>...Or maybe the local interviews around Ottawa, with the Halifax
Initiative, activists raising concerns about the World Trade Organization,
South Asia Partnership, Oxfam, CUSO, CCIC, OPIRG, Sierra Club, Friends of
the Earth ... or interviews from the front line of the Temagami clearcutting
protests, at Alternative Budget meetings, or with MP's and political leaders???

>If you do recall, and you can afford to pledge a few dollars to help us
meet our funding goal, please give us a call, when we go on-air live -
520-3920 (or  toll-free 1-877-520-3920 if you're long distance), Monday
October 26th, 6:30 pm - and help keep us reporting on the events, issues,
and continuing struggles of the peoples of this beautiful planet.

>Thanks,
>

>Laurie Gourlay, Gordon Walker, Victoria Fenner & friends
>
>ps - advance, or post - program, pledges can also be called in to the CKCU
funding drive on behalf of A Luta Continua (at CKCU, 520-3920)  anytime over
the next couple of weeks.

>*93.1 FM, alternative, community, radio with a conscience.
>

>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>
>And now, below, for your listening-read-along pleasure, here's a sample
program, which gives you a little taste of what was ...

>"Hi ...My name's Laurie Gourlay, and I'd like to welcome you on behalf of
my co-host, Gordon Walker to another program of A Luta Continua - a
half-hour show which explores the continuing struggles of those here in
Canada and in the South for social, ecological and economic justice.

>Today's show features..... East Timor and Vietnam.
>
>So, let's start off with Bella Galhos, speaking to those present at the
'Independence Rally for East Timor', providing a "housewarming " for the new
Indonesian Embassy at 55 Parkdale, by the Ottawa Parkway.

>(5-6 minutes)
>

> - music break  (3 minutes) *And now we'll hear the song of the freedom
movement for East Timor, as sung by Bella Galhos and those present at the
'Independence Rally for East Timor'.

>And after we'll go straight to an interview with Judy Varga-Toth, speaking
with CUSO cooperants, describing their experiences while working in
international development programs.

> - Closing theme & credits    (1 minute)
>
>"Our thanks to CKCU-Ottawa, and our tech Andrzej Wisniewski for assistance
in producing this program of A Luta Continua.

> - final word as music fades in
>
>"And remember ....You too can fight facism, racism & nuclear proliferation!!"
>
> - Exit & music fade out...

       "All would be better off if each person took into
        account the effect of his or her acts upon others."
    World Commission on Environment & Development
                ~~~ Our Common Future, 1987 ~~~

                         The Turning 2000 Project
                   Local Initiatives, Global Solutions
        commons@web.net; http://www.turning2000.org