planning for action against global capital

People's Global Action - Ottawa is holding a meeting to organize a direct
action against global capital on June 18

When: April 6th, 7:00 pm
Where: 5th Floor, 280 Metcalfe St.

On June 18, people around the world will be taking action to demonstrate
resistance to the corporate-driven trade liberalization agenda.  These
actions will coincide with the G-8 meeting in Germany.  The G-8 is one of
several fora where this trade liberalization agenda is organized by the
few, for the few, at the expense of the many.  Participate in building a
creative, fun and direct action as Ottawa's contribution to this global day
of solidarity.  Help build our capacity for future direct actions.

While this event is being organized as a direct action, this action is not
intended to result in arrests.

For more information, contact Brian Edgecombe at: phone 237-6278; e-mail
briane@tao.ca
===================
June 18 Background

The following excerpt is from the June 18 homepage which can be found on
the internet at: http://www.gn.apc.org/june18.

June 18, 1999 will be an international day of action aimed at the heart of
the global economy: the financial centres, banking districts and
multinational corporation power bases. We are encouraging as many movements
and groups as possible to organise their own autonomous protests or
actions, on the same day (June 18th), in the same geographical locations
(eg., financial, corporate, banking, or business districts) around the
world. Events could take place at relevant sites, eg. multi-national
company offices, local banks, stock exchanges.  Each event would be
organised autonomously and co-ordinated in each city or financial district
by a variety of movements and groups.

It is hoped that a whole range of different groups will take part,
including workers, peasants, indigenous peoples, women, students, the
landless, environmentalists, unwaged/unemployed and others...everyone who
recognises that the global capitalist system, based on the exploitation of
people and the planet for the profit of a few, is at the root of our social
and ecological troubles.

Already, five months before June 18th, groups in 20 countries are preparing
events for June 18th.  Individual groups include Diverse Women For
Diversity (USA), Policy and Information Centre for International Solidarity
(Seoul, South Korea), and Chikoko (an umbrella movement linking different
indigenous peoples fighting oil exploration in Nigeria).  Some countries
already have June 18th coalition groups, including Australia, England and
the USA. Protests are being planned in many of the world's financial
centres, such as London, New York, Mexico City, Sydney and Seoul.

As we realise that no issue is single, be it exploitation of workers,
peasant farmers thrown off land, or our environment being destroyed, we
also realise that we must act together.  In the global economy the ground
is being laid for huge social and political changes.  Radical social
movements from all over the world are beginning to work together.  June
18th could be a landmark in the process.  Never before has there been a
time when co-ordinated action across the planet has been so necessary and
so possible.

There is also a June 18 discussion list.  If you want to subscribe, send
mail to: listproc@gn.apc.org

with the following request:

subscribe J18DISCUSSION Your Name

brian edgecombe - ottawa, ontario, canada

"We are all bound together by the task that lies before us"
James Taylor