Two Y2K community events: Centretown, Region-wide

[Please spread word of these events to other community agencies who are
concerned about community preparedness.]

1. Y2K Centretown PILOT PROJECT
-------------------------------

TUESDAY, APRIL 20, 1999, 6pm (time change)*
CENTRETOWN COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTRE
TRAINING ROOM, 420 COOPER ST. BETWEEN BANK AND KENT

A partnership with the Centretown Citizens Community Association to help
residents to start their own block preparedness programs. All welcome.

· Why do we need community preparedness?
· Who needs help preparing? How can we help each other?
· What is the bad and the good news about Y2K?

2. Ottawa-Carleton Circle on COMMUNITY PREPAREDNESS

TUESDAY, APRIL 27, 1999, 6pm (time change)*
CENTRETOWN COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTRE, PROGRAM ROOM, 420 COOPER ST.

An invitation to community and citizens groups, government, agency, labour
and business representatives in our Region, to discuss a community-based
vision of y2k preparedness.
An international selection of y2k resources will be provided. Please RSVP.

· What major sectors remain unprepared?
· What can governments do to prepare? What can't they do?
· Who else needs to help in preparing our communities?

CONTACT: Terry Cottam, 236-6433, Y2K Regional Preparedness Group
(if faxing, call ahead); email y2k-ottawa@inode.org
Ottawa-Carleton Community Preparedness website, discussion:
http://y2k.inode.org

The READY-2000 taskforce expects "little or no disruptions" in municipal
services. But while local governments may be prepared, "there is still a
severe lack of y2k preparedness by small businesses in our Region. Small
businesses supply big business, process, transport, distribute and sell our
produce. Together with farmers, they form the foundation of our food supply
chain. If any of the links of that chain break, disruptions will result."
(Mike Fletcher, CEO, Highspin Corp., keynote speaker at Food Forum 2000, 10
April 1999)

* We are starting one hour earlier from previously-announced time of 7pm,
due to on-site renovations. Apologies for any inconvenience. Bring a snack,
we'll provide drinks.