homes not bombs campaign meeting

below is information about an interesting campaign connecting military
spending with homelessness (and more generally, underfunding of social
infrastructure in canada).

if any of you are interested in this campaign, please let me know and i
will make sure you receive updates and future meeting information as this
campaign develops.

take care,

brian edgecombe
Next Ottawa meeting of Homes not Bombs: a campaign to convert the
department of war (dept. of national defence) to the department of housing.

When: July 8, 1999 @ 7:00 pm
Where: Boardroom, Canadian Union of Postal Workers, 377 Bank St. (Bank at
Lewis)

Why: Meet with Toronto-based Homes not Bombs organizers Matthew Behrens and
Laural Smith for an introduction to the campaign and an update on
province-wide organizing efforts; discuss local work which can be
undertaken during the summer to prepare for the action; continue
ottawa-based anti-war organizing which emerged during the war against
yugoslavia

for more information, contact brian edgecombe at mailto:briane@tao.ca or
call 237-6278.

below is a draft proposal of the homes not bombs campaign.
Canada's Choice:

To Build Homes...

	"The Committee [United Nations Committee on Economic, Social and
Cultural Rights] is gravely concerned that such a wealthy country as Canada
has allowed the problem of homelessness and inadequate housing to grow to
such proportions that the mayors of Canada's ten largest cities have now
declared homelessness a national disaster...The Committee recommends that
the federal, provincial and territorial governments address homelessness
and inadequate housing as a national emergency by reinstating or
increasing, as the case may be, social housing programmes for those in
need...[and] to implement a national strategy for the reduction of
homelessness and poverty."

	United Nations Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights,
	evaluating Canada's lack of progress, 1998.

...or to Blow Them Up

	"The Canadian Forces can hurl more raw firepower at a potential
enemy today than they could during the Persian Gulf War...Since the gulf
war, all three services have increased their 'combat capability' (the
wherewithal to inflict heavy damage on the enemy), said Major-General
Kenneth Pennie, director-general of strategic planning for the Canadian
Forces. The equipment includes new frigates for the navy, armoured vehicles
for the army and high-tech 'smart' bombs for the air force. Given the
improved accuracy, Gen. Pennie said, 'we find that some conventional
weapons can be more useful than nuclear weapons.'"

	Globe and Mail, March 10, 1999

Canada currently spends over 400% more on its military than it does on housing.

* * * DRAFT PROPOSAL * * *

HOMES NOT BOMBS: Converting Canada From a War Economy to a Peace Economy

CANADA STILL PREPARING FOR WAR

Canada currently spends over 400% more on its military than it does on
housing, and the federal government has made no commitment to a national
housing strategy. Indeed, while Ottawa has, since 1984, taken steps to
completely eliminate any funding for new social housing, it has spent,
since 1980, over a quarter of a trillion dollars on war.

Like the U.S., which is now proposing the largest military spending
increase since the election of Ronald Reagan, Canada continues to forge
ahead in combat preparation mode. Indeed, as Project Ploughshares points
out, "With major procurement programs emphasizing equipment of high
intensity combat, Canada's defence establishment remains bound to Cold War
categories...the Department of National Defence continues to prepare first
and foremost for war."

As with the U.S., Canada's percentage of monies spent on social housing is
dangerously low. About 5.5% of Canada's housing is non-market social
housing (compared with 2% in the U.S., 15% in France and Germany, 22% in
the U.K. and 40% in the Netherlands.)

HOMELESSNESS: A NATIONAL DISASTER

While cities across the country, including Ottawa, Vancouver and Toronto,
have declared the crisis of homelessness a national disaster, Ottawa
continues to use its largest block of "discretionary funding"- about $10
billion annually-to build fighter jets and participate in the U.S. Star
Wars program.

The dictionary describes discretionary as "left to one's own judgment." Yet
when scores of people are dying every year from homelessness in Canada, and
over 200,000 people are estimated to be homeless in this country (with
millions more in substandard housing), the federal government is obviously
showing poor judgment by absolving itself of housing responsibilities but
remaining committed to unnecessary and dangerous weapons programs?

By choosing to spend on weapons which kill abroad, the government is
choosing not to fund desperately needed programs at home, thus threatening
the lives of those unable to access affordable shelter, health care, and
other vital social services. Either way, Ottawa has blood on its hands.

The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation estimates the cost of each new
unit of affordable housing to be $40,000. One year of spending on housing
what we currently spend on war would yield a quarter of a million new units
of affordable housing.

HOMES NOT BOMBS: A CAMPAIGN

Homes Not Bombs is a campaign based on a complete shift in Canada's
national priorities, challenging the myths of militarism and the myths
about where poverty comes from. Both are institutional creations, created
and sustained by the Canadian corporate power structure and perpetuated by
willing governments at all levels.

We believe a first step in changing our national priorities is converting
the War Department to the Housing Department. Just as we wish to see the
Canadian government end its military enforcement of sanctions against the
Iraqi people, we want the federal government to end its sanctions against
the 5 million-plus Canadians forced to live in poverty while Canada plays
host to the highest rate of billionaires-per-capita in the world.

THE COST OF ENDING POVERTY

Indeed, in 1996, Statistics Canada estimated it would take only $18.6
billion to bring every Canadian out of poverty, less than what the War
Department spends in a two-year period. Yet given the choice of where to
spend, Ottawa has made it clear-guns, not butter, bombs, not homes. For
example, the federal government pays for the military enforcement of Iraqi
starvation and the ongoing destructive war training over Innu lands off the
backs of Canada's hungry and homeless.

Canada recently scored poorly in an assessment of economic, social and
politics rights at the United Nations. It is unclear how Canada can claim
any moral weight judging the actions of other nations when its own house is
in such disarray.

ENTRENCHING HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS

It is everyone's human right to have access to decent food, shelter, and
employment. Yet the government claims there is not enough money in the till
for programs to guarantee these rights. The government's choice of ignoring
these human rights in favour of an annual 10 billion outlay on the military
merely entrenches this injustice.

Clearly, what is missing is not the financial capacity to meet these
important goals, but the political will. As Martin Luther King and others
pointed out time and again during the civil rights movement of the 1950s
and 1960s, when governments refuse to meet the basic human needs of their
people, it is up to all people of good conscience to engage in campaigns of
nonviolent resistance that create a moral climate in which government
policies of neglect and abandonment are no longer possible.

Such campaigns are also deigned to awaken the sleeping conscience of a
nation, urging those who have been silent to speak up and, with united
voices, support and work for real action to achieve social justice.

TAKING ACTION: A Pledge of Resistance to War and Poverty

The goal of Homes Not Bombs is to link these two vital issues together
through outreach and education, letter-writing, vigils, and non-violent
civil disobedience. Included in our work is a demand for, at the very
least, implementation of the widely-endorsed 1% solution to solving
homelessness (whereby all levels of government increase by 1% that portion
of their budgets currently spent on housing to eliminate homelessness
within 5 years). We are also organizing a significant act of civil
disobedience, a nonviolent blockade of the War Department this November
with the symbolic aim of converting the building into the Housing
Department, training those within to build-not blow up-homes.

SAMPLE PLEDGE

We cannot tolerate another winter with scores of homeless people dying on
the streets of our cities. Nor can we tolerate the use of almost $10
billion in federal monies annually to prepare for war while millions suffer
the scourge of poverty in one of the wealthiest nations on the planet.

I therefore pledge to become part of the Homes Not Bombs conversion
program: to convert the War Dept. to the Housing Dept., to end Canada's
shameful participation in the business of war and to use those much-needed
resources for social programs to end poverty in this country and abroad.

1. I pledge to write to my MP and demand that immediate action be taken to
embark on a national program of affordable housing construction and social
assistance at livable levels. Further, I will call for an end to the
outrageous military spending on programs ranging from "Star Wars" to the
outfitting of fighter jets with "smart" bombs.

2. I will arrange a visit with my MP to discuss these issues and to urge
immediate action.

3. I will organize a vigil at my MP's office.

4. I will go to Ottawa where I will join a demonstration in early November
to convert the Department of War into the Department of Housing.

5. I commit myself to not only join the demonstration, but to take part in
an act of civil disobedience to transform the War Department. By making
this commitment, I pledge to have attended a training session in
non-violence in preparation for this action.

EXAMPLES OF OUTRAGEOUS MILITARY SPENDING

The campaign will also focus on the cancellation of significantly dangerous
wastes of money such as:

Canadian participation in Star Wars:			$600,000,000+
Annual contribution to NORAD:				$300 million
Upgrade 114 Leopard C1 main battle tanks,
purchase of additional 123 Leopard tanks:		$138.8 million
Armoured Combat Vehicle Project:			$600,000,000 (at
least)
Armoured Personnel Carrier Replacement Project:		$2.04 billion
Helping CF-18s remain "a viable and survivable fighter
(upgrades include capacity to use Advanced Air-to-Air
Weapons, air-to-surface "smart bombs" and missiles:	$1.175 billion
Maritime Helicopter Program (equipped with submarine
detection and attack systems):				$2.3 billion
Frigate Equipment Life Extension
(upgrade of combat systems) :				$100 million at least
Very Short Range Air Defence System (to replace
existing Javelin missile):				$100 million at least
Medium Indirect Fire System (upgrade to
Army M109A4 self-propelled howitzer):			$100 million at least
Unmanned Airborne Surveillance and
Target Acquisition System:				$50 million
Participation in US Joint Strike Fighter Program:	Untold millions

RESOURCES

Resources for more information on military spending and the crisis of
homelessness (these organizations, though listed as good resources, have
not necessarily endorsed this campaign): Project Ploughshares Address,
website
Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade
National Disaster Relief Committee
Cooperative Housing federation of Canada

We want your feedback! Please send comments, suggestions, additional facts
which you think might be of interest to: Homes Not Bombs, P.O. Box 73620,
509 St. Clair Ave. W., Toronto, Ont., M6C 1C0, email: tasc@web.net, phone:
(416) 651-5800. We hope to launch this campaign publicly in late May or
early June of 1999.