(Fwd) Hey VEGANS & VEGETARIANS!!!

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:27:18 -0400, in ott.general Lisa
McParland
<mcparlan@nortelnetworks.com wrote:

Anybody need more of a reason to hate McDonalds?!?!?

I am looking for people that will join me in a demonstration against
McDonalds. I am going to do this as peaceful as I can.

Even if you just come to stand there, you will be helping...

...here is the scoop as to why...

<you can look at a better-looking copy at
http://www.meatstinks.com/mcd.html
<this text version looks best in a maximized window
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After two years of patient negotiating resulting in no action by the
company on any points we raised, PETA is launching a brand-new
campaign targeting McDonald's.

PETA has been in regular negotiations with McDonald's since the
1997 "McLibel" verdict, in which the British high court in London
ruled that McDonald's is responsible for cruelty to animals. But last
month, we broke off talks after it became clear that the restaurant
chain had no intention of following up its lip service with meaningful
action. (See below for the specific steps we asked McDonald's to
take; the company refused to consider any of them and was clearly
interested only in public relations, not action.)

Now PETA is launching a series of in-your-face billboards and
advertisements attacking McDonald's, as well as releasing brand-
new leaflets, posters, stickers, bumper stickers, and shirts
focusing on McDonald's cruelty to animals.

We are calling on activists to organize demonstrations at
McDonald's restaurants, beginning on Saturday, October 16. We
are happy to supply (free of charge) leaflets, posters, sample news
releases, and media lists. We are also happy to assist you in the
planning or to help you brainstorm for ideas.

Please e-mail us as soon as possible with the date, time, and
place of your demo, and let us know what assistance, if any, you
need. Be sure to include your name and complete address
(including city, state, and zip code), your group's name (if any),
and your phone number. If you already know which McDonald's
restaurant (or restaurants) you plan to target, and the scenario, let
us know that, too. Of course, try to pick restaurants that are near a
public sidewalk.

We will send you posters and leaflets as soon as they're ready (by
October 1), and will call you to discuss demo details (location,
plan, etc.). If you don't need or want our help, please let us know
your plans and register your demo anyway. Let us know afterward
how it went, how many people were there, etc., as well.

Also, we'll be placing the billboards and ads across the country
and can supply these to local groups who want to sponsor them in
their community.

This Web site will have all the campaign materials shortly and can
serve as a warehouse for media wanting more information on
McDonald's and cruelty to animals. Meanwhile, the campaign's
themes are:

1. "Animals deserve a break today; McDonald's: Cruelty to Go,"
with a picture of hanging bloodied pigs.

2. "Do you want fries with that? McDonald's: Cruelty to go," with a
picture of a slaughtered cow's head.

3. "Son of Ron: America's #1 serial killer," with a psycho Ronald
McDonald grabbing dead chickens and sporting a bloody butcher's
knife.

4. "Good Mourning?! McDonald's: Cruelty to go," framed by dead
pigs and battery hens.

Obviously, we want McDonald's to stop selling meat altogether, but
here are the things we suggested that it do immediately to reduce
suffering for countless animals. The first six are based on the
McLibel verdict (areas where they were found to be "responsible for
cruelty to animals") or U.S. law.

1. Give chickens at least 1.5 square feet of living space, as
recommended by the USDA. McDonald's allows just .55 square
feet of room, which isn't even enough space to spread one wing.

2. Stop selling eggs from factory-farmed hens. Between four and
seven hens are stuffed into tiny wire mesh cages which are
stacked in warehouses, as many as 100,000 hens in these huge
sheds. They can't breathe. They can't move. By the time they're
shipped to slaughter, most are crippled or have broken bones. The
conditions under which animals are being raised are so appalling
that the entire European Union has decided to phase out battery
cages.

3. Require improved standards for transportation. Animals raised for
McDonald's food are handled so roughly during transport that every
year, millions suffer broken bones and millions more die from the
heat or cold.

4. Require improved standards for slaughter. To date, McDonald's
has not even attempted to require its slaughterhouses to meet
federal minimum standards for slaughter of cows and pigs (no
standards exist for birds), which state that 100 percent of animals
should be fully stunned before their throats are slit. In fact,
McDonald's training video tells slaughterhouse workers that it's OK
if five cows in every 100 can be conscious while they are skinned
and dismembered-a direct violation of federal regulations. When the
meat industry's own expert on animal handling suggested that with
virtually no effort, McDonald's could require its suppliers to hire two
stunners, thus markedly decreasing the number of animals who are
skinned and dismembered while conscious, McDonald's refused.

5. Stop using genetically altered birds who suffer from painful leg
deformities. The chickens McDonald's uses are genetically bred to
grow so large, so fast that their legs can't bear their own weight.

6. Stop buying pigs from farms that keep sows in intensive
confinement. These pigs live their entire lives in cement stalls,
unable to turn around. Pregnant sows are often tethered to the front
of iron grills, unable to nuzzle their babies or make a birthing
"nest." These stalls are so cruel that they have been outlawed in
the U.K., but McDonald's refuses to phase them out.

7. Offer a veggie burger at all U.S. McDonald's restaurants.
(McDonald's currently offers veggie burgers and vegetarian nuggets
in many of its European restaurants.)

Not only did McDonald's refuse to consider any of these steps, but
the company is continuing to lie to consumers in its
correspondence and on its Web site and is knowingly violating the
only federal humane standard that exists (the Humane Slaughter
Act) for animals raised for food.
]
So, my plans are to perform a demonstration at the McDonalds on
Baseline/Woodroffe, Lincoln Fields, or possibly a downtown location.
(To be decided.) Date is set for Saturday, October 16. Peta is
providing the leaflets, posters and such to be sent to me on Oct 1.

If you could spread the word, I would appreciate any help and/or
support I could get.

Thanks kindly,

For the animals!!

My Stats: