financial appeal on east timor

I am posting this on behalf of Jane Stinson at CUPE

September 15, 1999

To:             Friends of East Timor
From:           Jane Stinson (CUPE) and Ken Luckhardt (CAW)
RE:             Financial Appeal

In the past nine days, we have all watched the tragedy of East Timor unfold yet again.  As militias created and abetted by the Indonesian military carry out a new genocide, and as governments (including Canada) sit idly back and do nothing to offend their Indonesian allies. The time has come for individuals to collectively act.

People throughout the world have responded to calls demanding that an international peacekeeping force be positioned in East Timor to oversee the removal of Indonesian troops and the disarming of the militias.  While this continues to be the critical demand, we must also find ways to provide material solidarity to our sisters and brothers who make up the Timorese resistance and who continue to lead the independence movement of the Timorese people.

Both of us were part of the nine-person delegation led by the CLC that travelled to East Timor and Indonesia in early August.  During that time we met with youth, women’s, human rights and church groups that are crucial to the development of civil society in an independent East Timor.  Most importantly, we met with the CNRT, the National Centre for Timorese Resistance, which serves as the umbrella organization that unites and coordinates Timorese resistance to the Indonesian occupation.

During our conversations with the CNRT leadership in Dili, and again with Xanana Gusmao who was still under house arrest in Jakarta at the time of our visit, we were very impressed with the degree to which the CNRT cadre have given serious thought to building civil society in an independent East Timor.  Building a labour movement, strengthening women’s and human rights organizations to protect the people, engaging in literacy and skills development workall of this was in formation before the referendum of August 30 because the Timorese people knew that they would win the vote.

Now, only a week later, many of the leaders and probably hundreds of the people have been killed with thousands forced into refugee camps inside and outside the country.  The immediate post-referendum plans have obviously had to be put aside until the genocide is stopped by the international community.

But we all know from our past involvement in political struggles and international solidarity work just how important it is to have the financial resources to carry forward the work...especially during the most difficult conditions.

FOR THIS REASON, AND BECAUSE SO MANY CANADIANS ARE ASKING HOW THEY CAN HELP EAST TIMOR, WE ARE APPEALING TO YOU AS INDIVIDUALS TO HELP US RAISE FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR THE CNRT IMMEDIATELY!

WE ARE ASKING EACH PERSON WHO RECEIVES THIS LETTER TO CONTRIBUTE $100 (ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS) TO GO INTO AN ACCOUNT WHICH WILL BE CREATED BY JANE STINSON AND KEN LUCKHARDT..  EVERY DOLLAR CONTRIBUTED WILL GO TO THE CNRT.

At this point in time, we would of course not even dare to suggest to the CNRT how we would like them to use the money.  We make our contribution in the spirit of solidarity, knowing that the movement which has resisted Indonesian occupation and butchery for 24 years will use our resources to serve the best interests of the Timorese people.

If we reach our goal of having 250 individuals give $100 each, the $25,000 raised will further motivate institutional support to the CNRT from Canadian civil society on a more long-term, project driven basis.  Every donation, whatever the amount, will be greatly appreciated.

Please send your $100 cheque or money order made out to either Jane or Ken at one of the following addresses:

Jane Stinson                    or              Ken Luckhardt
398 Lyon Street                         235 Glendonwynne Road
Ottawa, Ontario                         Toronto, Ontario
K1R 5X1                                 M6P 3G4

If you have any questions, please phone Jane (home: 613-234-6933/work: 613-237-1590) or Ken (home: 416-766-9644/work: 416-718-8459).

In solidarity,

Jane Stinson                                            Ken Luckhardt

opeiu491/hb
research/director/present/cnrt.doc