ALERT: register for Biodevastation 2000 - Boston, Mar.24-26

Biodevastation 2000 - Boston, Mass.  - March 24-26, 2000
     ++++  www.biodev.org. ++++

Register if possible before March 10 !   Fee is $10 - $100, what you can afford.
Low-cost meals on site.

Housing billets and dorms available (at no charge, it seems) - but
*requires* early registration.  (They say send  money-order by mail to
confirm accommodation by Mar.10 -- we hope to have details to clarify,
because of the tight
deadline, by this  evening - Mar. 6/00.)

No chartered buses going, but some Ottawa/Montreal people are planning to
drive shared rental cars or go by Voyageur/Greyhound (return fare = $240 or
$228/Senior).

Press release, schedule and registration form are below.
Please get in touch with Lucy (work 241 4611 Sierra Club, home 235 1672)
 to check regarding travel.   Thanks.

================================
 February 22, 2000
 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

A coalition of environmental, food safety, public  health, farm
and agricultural advocates will convene an international gathering
of genetic  engineering opponents in Boston on March  24-30.
Their gathering, "Biodevastation 2000," is will coincide with the
convention of  the Biotechnology Industry Organization.

 The counter-conference will take place March 24 - 26
 at Northeastern University, and will be followed by
 other public events including a rally and parade on
 Sunday, March 26th, featuring international speakers
 and a colorful display of larger-than-life puppets.

 "Biodevastation 2000 will highlight biotechnology's
 growing threat to our health, the environment and the
 future of our farms," said Jessica Hayes, spokesperson
 for Biodevastation 2000,  "Following last November's
 events in Seattle, we also hope to bring the
 resistance against corporate globalization back to the
 center of public attention, as we bring diverse
 organizations and individuals together to express the
 growing rejection of genetic engineering."

 Biodevastation 2000 is the fourth in a series of
 international grassroots gatherings on genetic
 engineering that began in St. Louis in July of 1998.
 The theme of this year's gathering is  "Resistance and
 solutions to the corporate monopoly on power, food,
 and life." The Biodevastation conference, to be held
 at Northeastern University on March 24-26th, will
 bring together scientists, activists, students,
 farmers, consumers and community leaders from around
 the world to explore the facts, questions, and myths
 behind genetic engineering and its partner, corporate
 globalization.

 Workshops and speakers at Biodevastation 2000 will
 take an intensive look into the impacts of genetic
 engineering on human health, the environment, food and
 farms, and communities. Presenters will also explore
 ways for communities to organize and create
 community-centered solutions to avoid the dangerous
 impacts of genetic engineering. Biodevastation 2000
 speakers include Vandana Shiva of India's Research
 Foundation for Science, Technology, and Ecology; long
 time biotechnology critic Ruth Hubbard of Harvard
 University; and Steve Wilson and Jane Akre, former Fox
 TV reporters fired for their expose of Monsanto's
 Bovine Growth Hormone, a genetically engineered drug
 used on dairy cows.

 Biodevastation 2000 is a collaborative project of
 Northeast Resistance Against Genetic Engineering,
 Institute for Social Ecology, and People's Earth
 Network; Co-sponsors include Clean Water Action, the
 Council for Responsible Genetics, Boston Global Action
 Network, Greenpeace USA, Native Forest Network, Mass
 PIRG and many others.

 For more information on Biodevastation 2000 contact:

 Northeast Resistance Against Genetic Engineering
 802.454.9957   nerage@sover.net

 Boston Biodevastation Clearinghouse
 1.877.9RESIST (toll free)     biod2000@jamaicaplain.com

 For media related questions contact:
 Jessica Hayes
 617.623.4715   biodevmedia@yahoo.com

***   BIODEVASTATION 2000     ***  Program ***

 FRIDAY 3/24

 8-9 AM                  Breakfast and registration
 9-10                    Opening Session/Welcome
 10:00-11:45        Environmental Issues Panel
 11:45-12:45         Lunch

 12:45-2:15          Biopiracy Panel
 2:30-4:00          Workshops
 4:15-6                  Genetics and Health Panel
 6-7:30                   Dinner

 7:30-9 PM           Vandana Shiva keynote
 9:15-10:15         Theater (Deep Mtn. Group)

 SATURDAY 3/25

 8-9 AM             Breakfast
 9-10:30             Farms/Seeds/Organics Panel
 10:30-10:45    Stretch break
 10:45-12:15        Two Panels: Food Safety
                and Corporate Agendas/Globalization
 12:15-2:15          Lunch/Networking (Regional caucuses, etc.)

 2:15-3:45     Workshops
 4:00-5:30      Workshops
 5:30-8          Dinner (Strategy circles in Cabot gym)

 8-9 PM        Jane Akre and Steve Wilson keynote
 9 PM          Seize the Day

 SUNDAY 3/26

 8-9 AM              Breakfast
 9:00-10:15          International Movement Building Panel
 10:30-11:45 U.S. Movement Building Panel
                    (Possibly food safety again, depending on room availability)
 11:45-12:15   Morning wrapup, focus on next steps in movement

 Evening session(s): TBA

***   Updated panel participants: ***

 Food Safety and Health - -
 Steven M. Druker, Alliance for Bio-Integrity
 Mike Hansen, Consumers Union
 Lee Ketelsen, Clean Water Action
 Marc Lappé, author, "Against the Grain" (invited)

 Environmental Hazards and Biosafety - -
 Martha Crouch, former plant molecular biologist (Indiana University)
 Ricarda Steinbrecher, Women's Environmental Network, UK
 Sonja Schmitz, University of Vermont
 Orin Langelle, Native Forest Network and ACERCA
 Doreen Stabinsky (CRG, invited)

 Seeds, Farms and Organics - -
 C. R. Lawn, Fedco Seeds
 George Naylor, Iowa farmer in suit against Monsanto
 José Bové, Confédération Paysanne, France (tentative)
 John Kinsman, National Family Farm Coalition (invited)
 (Other panelists being contacted)

 Human Genetics and Medical Issues - -
 Ruth Hubbard, Harvard University, Council for Responsible Genetics
 Stuart Newman, New York Medical College, CRG
 Barbara Katz Rothman, Baruch College, City University  NY,  (tentative)
 Marcy Darnovsky, Techno-Eugenics Newsletter (CA.)
 Alix Fano, Campaign for Responsible Transplantation
 Gregor Wolbring, University of Calgary

 Biopiracy, Intellectual Property and Patents - -
 Mike Dorsey, University of Michigan
 Victoria Corpuz, Tebtebba Foundation, Philippines
 Beth Burrows, Edmonds Institute
 Deborah Harry, Indigenous People's Biodiversity Project
 Jonathan King, MIT and CRG

 Corporate Agendas and Globalization - -
 Hope Shand, Rural Advancement Foundation International
 Dan Faber, Northeastern University
 Mitchel Cohen, Green Party of New York State
 Chaia Heller, Institute for Social Ecology, U. of Massachusetts
 (Possible representative from Food First)

 Movement Building and Activism - -
 International:
     Luke Anderson, Activist journalist, UK
     Martin Shaw, GenetiX Snowball, UK
     José Bové, Confédération Paysanne, France (tentative)
     Lucy Sharratt, Sierra Club of Canada
     Jim Thomas, Greenpeace, UK
 U.S.:
     Charles Margulis, Greenpeace USA
     Ronnie Cummins, Biodemocracy Campaign, Organic Consumers Assn.

     Brian Tokar, Institute for Social Ecology, NERAGE
     Brooke Lehman, Direct Action Network
     Mike Prokosch (Boston Global Action Network, tentative)

 Still to be scheduled: Shoddy Puppet Company (Philadedelphia)