Reminder: Human Rights Violations in Nepal

From: "Faruq Faisel" <sap@web.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 15:44:41 -0400

This is a reminder:

The mid day presentation:

"NOT JUST SMILING SHERPAS"
Human Rights Violations in Nepal

By:
Dr. Sybille Manneschmidt
Chairperson, Transgenus International

is taking place tomorrow, Wednesday, April 5, 2000 from 12:00 - 14:00 at
1 Nicholas Street, Ottawa. Now instead of the Conference Room,  this will
take place in the CCIC Board Room which is on the third floor of the same
building. We are hoping that one presenter may join the event by phone from
Kathmandu to update us on further developments in Nepal.

This February, Dr. Sybille Manneschmidt investigated human rights violations
in Nepal that have impacted upon her organization's health education
project. Transgenus International supports a women and children's health
group in the northern area of Rolpa District, in the midwestern region of
Nepal in a Kham Magar Village.  Transgenus has been involved in the
community since 1995.

Manneschmidt, an Albertan, has just returned from traveling in the area
where she witnessed an alarming escalation in human rights violations that
have been ongoing in the area since 1996. Many of the villagers she has
visited in the past have simply disappeared. Those who have managed to stay
in their villages live in fear.

The conflict between the Nepali government and Maoist insurgents is
destroying small village communities in outlying areas and has reversed any
grass-roots development in these highly impoverished areas.

During Dr.Manneschmidt's stay in Dhang district she conducted interviews
with affected villagers, human rights activists, lawyers and journalists.
People had either personally been threatened or had witnessed atrocities
being perpetrated by police or Maoist guerrillas. They reported murders and
torture, as well as missing relatives and neighbours. Many of the villagers
have been jailed and seen their homes destroyed. Villagers requested her to
tell the international community: " We are not just smiling Sherpas; we are
getting killed".

Faruq Faisel
Canadian Program Manager
South Asia Partnership (SAP) Canada