Media Workshop for activists

Please respond to jkneen@magma.ca (see question below).

Media Workshop for Grassroots Activists

Aaron Freeman and Chris Lawson will facilitate a workshop on the ABCs of
using media effectively in grassroots campaigning.

Tuesday, 13 June, 6:30 pm to 10:00 pm
room 129 Simard Hall, Ottawa University

Programme (flexible)

1. Quick go-round to say what "media" experience you have had
2. Presentation on "what is news"
3. Elements of successful media relations and tools (presentation): news
releases, event promotion, news conferences, shmoozing I mean cultivating
media contacts, letters to the editor...
4. Small group discussions based on scenarios. What is the conclusion you
want(ed) people to draw, who is your audience, and what proof is required to
get them to reach that conclusion?
5. Whole group discussion, conclusions.

PLEASE let us know if you are planning to take part in this workshop so we
can plan it better (jkneen@magma.ca). Also, please indicate any specific
experiences of successful or unsuccessful media work that you have had, that
could be useful for our discussion. (If you've already responded, we have
you on record - but not your answer to the question about your experience.)
"All larger organisms, including ourselves, are living testimonies to
  the fact that destructive practices do not work in the long run. In
  the end, the aggressors always destroy themselves, making way for
  others who know how to cooperate and get along. Life is much less a
  competitive struggle for survival than a triumph of cooperation and
  creativity."
                                   - Fritjof Capra, "The Web Of Life"