"Mary Foster": Talisman Divestment Campaign needs you!

Talisman Divestment Campaign meeting

Thursday, 13 July, 6:00 pm
237 Champlain St., apt 3 Hull (a few blocks from the museum of civilisation)

Everyone is welcome!

more information:
dmajok@hotmail.com
tel 744 6270

"In fact, villagers, militia commanders, political figures [from the south]
all asked us: 'Did the Canadian oil company ask our permission to take our
oil, and sell it? Why is Canada, a rich country, taking our oil without our
permission, and without any benefit to us?'"
(Report from the Canadian Assessment Mission, January 2000)

Background

Talisman Energy Inc is Canada's largest oil company. It is also the lead
agency in an oil project in Sudan which can be directly linked to brutal
'clearances' of oil fields (by gunships), continued fighting between the
northern government and southern autonomy forces, and continued ability of
the military dictatorship - the exclusive beneficiary of oil revenues inside
Sudan - to maintain control over the civilian population. The news report
below quotes a government official boasting that oil will bring
self-sufficiency in weaponry within the year.

Yet Talisman refuses to withdraw or suspend operations and the government of
Canada has so far refused to enact sanctions forcing Talisman to withdraw.
This despite the finding of Canada's own assessment mission that, "There are
only two ways of neutralising the negative impact of oil. One is to halt
production until real peace is attained; the other is to set government of
Sudan oil revenues aside for use when such a peace is in place."

The Talisman Divestment Campaign is asking investors in Talisman to sell
their stock in Talisman until the company withdraws from Sudan. We are
currently concentrating on the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, one of the
largest shareholders in Talisman. Although the Ontario Teachers' Federation
passed a resolution calling on its Pension Plan to divest in June, the
Pension Plan is still refusing to sell its profitable Talisman stock.