Rally against sports hunting

From: Sandra_Bauer <sandrabauer@pigeon.carleton.ca>
To: "'opirg-events@ox.org'" <opirg-events@ox.org>
Subject: Rally Against Sports Hunting
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 12:40:10 -0400

Passing this along...

* RALLY AGAINST SPORTS HUNTING, Aug 23-27, Ottawa.
The "Premier's Symposium"
(http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/ps2000), a sports hunting
convention & the first ever in Canada will be held in the Ottawa
Congress Centre this August. Mike Harris, Premier of Ontario, an
adamant sports hunter, has recently proposed some disturbing
legislation strictly for creating recreational opportunities for sports
hunters & anglers, and a new  "Heritage Hunting & Fishing Act,"
seeking to enshrine sports hunting as a right, and privatize
licensing & regulation of sports hunters, resulting in a private
organization, The Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters, being
placed in charge of a large component of wilderness management
in the province. The Peaceful Parks Coalition is organizing a rally
outside the convention centre; we are inviting anyone & everyone
concerned about wildlife protection. Help protect our last
remaining wilderness areas from special interests such as sports
hunting! The Harris government's environmental record has been
appalling & is now catching up with them. (Peaceful Parks
supports First Nations traditional & subsistence hunting). More
info: AnnaMaria Valastro 416 537-3212
annamaria_v@hotmail.com or Anita Krajnc toker416  922-0973
akrajn@chass.utoronto.ca