[OPIRG-EVENTS] CPAWS - WILDerness Wednesdays

WILDerness Wednesdays
BACK AGAIN!
OCT 4th, 2000
Starts 7pm
Sandy Hill Community Centre - Games Room
250 Somerset E. near King Edward, Ottawa University

Slideshow:
The Thelon - Canadian Heritage River
Hello Everyone!Ahhhh! What a great summer. Not one for the hot and
sticky weather, this was one of my best summers yet :o)
Hope you all had as much fun in the great outdoors, smelling the
flowers, dipping in the cool lakes.

CPAWS Ottawa Valley, though, never takes summer breaks. So, there's
lots to catch up on, and that's exactly what we'll be doing for this
first WILDerness Wednesday. A bit of this, a bit of that, local and
national issues. We'll be giving you concise updates on: Algonquin
wolves, Species At Risk Act, hunting in wilderness parks, Quebec
protected areas strategy ....

And after the break, two of our board members, Muriel and Larry, will
be sharing thoughts, scenes and their personal experiences on the
Thelon River this summer. The Thelon is a Canadian Heritage River,
designated for a unique history, tremendous wilderness canoeing, and
much more. On its long journey to the Arctic sea, the river
penetrates
the heart of the Thelon Game Sanctuary - the largest and most remote
wildlife refuge in Canada.

Hope to see you all on WED, OCT 4th!
We have great plans for upcoming WILDerness Wednesdays too ..
So stay tuned!

WILDerness Wednesday Team
Colin, Holly, Camille, Melinda
-------------------------------

"The Thelon has a spirit, lent by the Native peoples who lived there
over the last 9,000 years and who still today view it with a special
reverence.

The Thelon has seniority, derived from being the oldest fully
protected wilderness in Canada.

The Thelon has stature, which allows it to rise above other parks and
conservation areas, perhaps partly because it was created and has
been
retained by its own legislation.

The Thelon has an allure among wilderness travellers who dream of
going there, to see the sanctuary, the wildlife and the untouched
land.

For many Canadians, it is a special place.

It is our river sanctuary."

Source - http://www.chrs.ca/Rivers/Thelon-S2_e.htm

---------------------------------------
WILDerness WEDNESDAYS!
Starting Oct 2000
On going till May 2001
Starts 7pm
UNTIL DEC, At Sandy Hill Community Centre - Games Room
250 Somerset E. (near King Edward, University of Ottawa)
NEW LOCATION IN JAN

For more information contact:
Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society
Ottawa Valley Chapter/Section vallée de l'Outaouais
Telephone: (613) 232-7297 (23C-PAWS)
www.cpaws.org