[OPIRG-EVENTS] Greg Bonnah APPEAL OF TRESPASS CONVICTIONS

APPEAL OF GREG BONNAH'S CONVICTION OF TRESPASS CHARGES AT ROCKCLIFFE PARK
PUBLIC SCHOOL WILL BE HELD JANUARY 9/01 AT 10:00 AM COURT ROOM 9.

PRESS RELEASE AND REASONS FOR CONVICTION ARE BELOW

P R E S S  R E L E A S E 			                  FOR
IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:  Greg Bonnah 613-746-2997 or Cellular-613-220-5761
Contact: Jane Scharf-1-613-258-6176
Contact: Mary Anne Kazmierski-1-613-824-7469

GREGORY BONNAH VERDICT

Ottawa-Greg Bonnah, father of 9 year old disabled child Zachary Bonnah will
be in court Monday October 16, 2000 at 161 Elgin St. to hear the final
verdict on his trespass to property charges.

Justice Binda has set this date to release his decision following the
courts consideration of Greg's constitutional defense and the crowns
counter submissions. Greg argues that he had a right to be at Rockcliffe
Park Public School to drop his son off and that he was not trespassing
because he had legitimate business in the building. The Trespass to
Property does not allow a conviction where the accused had authority or
right to be in the school.

Greg says, "I have done everything in my power to try and get my child his
education including this direct action for which I have been charged with
trespassing and criminal mischief and still my son is out of school.
Zachary is now locked out 5 days a week. Zachary is in crisis because he is
denied the medical intervention (speech and psysio therapy) that was to be
part of his school placement. Children Hospital no longer provides these
services when the child is of school age because the school is suppose to
be providing it to avoid duplication of services.

No one is providing  it. I asked for help from special services at home and
they have also refused to help him.

I have sought help from my MPP, Claudete Boyer, my MP M. Belanger, the
Minister of Education Janet Ecker, Minister of Community and Social
Services John Baird and I have even requested Premier Harris to conduct a
public enquiry into this matter of where the spec ed. funding ear marked
for Zachary ended up as it was not spent on him. All these requests for
assistance were to no avail. There is no political will at any level to
help the disabled student.

As we speak my child still has constitutional rights to education and a
right under the Human Rights Code of Ontario. I am not ready to give these
rights up without a fight. I do have some confidence in the court system
and I am optimistic that Monday's decision will favourably recognize the
right to access and accommodations in education for Zachary which gives me
business in the school to drop him off."

Mary Anne Kazmierski spokesperson for Integration Action Group says,
"parents like myself have fought tirelessly for this basic human right to
education for our children. Now the Ministry and the Board are mocking us.
Maybe we cannot make them care but we can assert these human rights that
are still on the books. We are behind Greg one hundred percent and will do
everything we can to see to it that his son gets educated."

Jane Scharf says, "Even the Education Act itself accords Zachary a right to
access and accommodations in education and there he sits at home with no
help. On the one hand the governments are telling us so many tax dollars
are being allocated to support the disabled student then in reality the
money never gets spent on the student. This destructive treatment of the
most vulnerable members of society is a form of social genocide. Without
help to accommodate their disability in education children like Zachary
will have no education and therefore no future. This little boy Zachary is
bright and eager to learn. He needs our support now to get his education
and he will give back to his community in spades for a life-time. I hope
this nightmare for this family is nearly over."

-30-

 THE RESULTS OF THE TRAIL ARE FOUND BELOW