[OPIRG-EVENTS] CPAWS Upcoming Events

Hello Everyone!

CPAWS WILDERNESS WEDNESDAYS
UPCOMING: DEC 6th, 2000
Starts 7pm
Sandy Hill Community Centre - Games Room
250 Somerset E. near King Edward Ave., close to Ottawa
University

KEYNOTE SPEAKER:
Geoff Quaile, adviser to the Grand Council of the Cree
of Northern Quebec
The impact of large-scale industrial logging in
Quebec's boreal forests, on the Crees traditional way
of life.

SLIDESHOW:
A journey through the heart of Canada's incredible
northern wilderness - The Snake River
by Jim Forbes

PS.   Thinking ahead to the holiday season?  Give a
"wild" and lasting gift to friends, family and future
generations of parks and wilderness lovers! We will be
selling memberships, T-shirts, sweatshirts and books
at the December Wilderness Wednesday.

PPS.  Good news - we're staying at Sandy Hill Comm
Centre until the spring (at least)!

The Snake River is one of the most beautiful and
remote canoeing destinations in Canada's North.  It
dances through range after range of spectacular
mountain peaks.  It weaves through wild lands where
dall sheep, caribou, grizzly, wolf and moose roam.

Oral presentation to the Quebec National Assembly
By the Deputy Grand Chief of of the Grand Council of
the Crees (Eeyou Astchee)
... "In many ways our passion for the boreal forest
environment is like the Quebecois passion for the
French language.  They are elements that we both see
as crucial to the survival of our cultures.  And they
are elements that we both would defend at all costs.
If my words today accomplish anything, let it be that
this is our common understanding of what is at stake
when Crees speak of forestry.

SOURCE - http://www.gcc.ca.cree@gcc.ca/