[OPIRG-EVENTS] Sept 26 Memorial in Rememberance of Affordable Housing in Ottawa

Note: A French version of this announcement will follow.

A Memorial in remembrance
of affordable housing in Ottawa

Habitat
planning a memorial service to honour all the homeless people who have
died in
the streets of Ottawa and all the people whose lives and families have
been
torn apart by lack of affordable and safe housing. We will also mourn
the
disappearance (temporary?) of our national and provincial social housing
construction programs.
Action Habitat is a network of service providers in Ottawa who are
working
with
people who are homeless or who are in danger of being homeless. We serve
women
and children fleeing violence, people in emergency shelters, and people
whose
lives are being disrupted because they do not have enough money to pay
their
rent and eat too.
All organizations serving people who are having housing problems are
invited to
attend the Memorial and to contribute stories, skits, poems, and visual
displays to the program. Some ideas are: to tell the true stories of the
people we serve (with their consent) or to invite them to tell their own
stories, to tell the story of what has happened to our social housing
programs,
to dramatize the experiences of people facing eviction and homelessness
due to
inadequate social assistance levels and affordable housing.

If you have something to contribute to this Memorial please contact
Action
Habitat by Wednesday September 12 at 4 PM. You can call Rose Mary Zak at
241-
7913 ext. 406, Rosine Kaley at 562-3316 or Jane Beauchamp at 225-0533.
Please
let us know what you are planning and the length of time it will take.
Please
pass this invitation on to anyone you know who may have something to
contribute.

The Memorial
Wednesday September 26
11AM to 1PM